Ch. 17: Realizations

➳Aether

A week had slipped by since the festival, and well -- let's just say what was meant to be a tranquil and enjoyable time for all had unexpectedly transformed into a fest fraught with tension, leaving in its wake strained relationships among some of the members.

Aether, who had conveniently managed to "get lost" during the festivities, has become notably more distant. His mind seemed to wander frequently, as if lost in a far realm.

As a good manager should, you've been attempting to discern the underlying issue. However, Aether seems to conjure explanations that you're well aware are nothing more than excuses.

Oh well, you'll just have to resign yourself to patience, waiting until he's ready to open up. But still, you really can't help but wonder:

What's making him so out of thought?

˖⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹

5wirl just finished wrapping up an interview with the Steambird, a renowned media network known for its hot news, entertaining content, and interviews with beloved stars and idols.

Aether finds himself strolling out of the sleek Steambird building where the engaging interview had taken place. As he makes his way towards 5wirl's waiting limousine, primed to return to Teyvat Entertainment, his mobile phone buzzes with an incoming call. Glancing at the display, he notices the caller ID flashing 'Lumine'.

Bringing the phone to his ear, Aether greets, "Hello?"

"Hey, how did the interview go?" inquires Lumine.

"It went well. The interviewer was.... quite something," Aether responds with a hollow chuckle. "I think her name was Charlotte or something."

"Woah, I heard she's a really popular interviewer and journalist," Lumine remarks. "I hope she wasn't bombarding you too much, I've heard she can get a bit overboard sometimes."

"Well, all I can say is that her and Venti got along well," Aether says, his tone lightheartedly tinged with sarcasm.

Lumine lets out a playful scoff. "Let me guess, Venti took over the interview as always?"

"Haha, yea..." Aether's voice tapers off, and a pause envelopes the conversation.

"..."

"You're doing it again," Lumine's voice carries a weary sigh, pulling Aether from his reverie.

"Huh, do what?"

"Losing yourself in your thoughts. It's been happening ever since you returned from the festival," She explains.

"...Is it because of what you told me about Kazuha and Y/N?"

Lumine's observation catches Aether off guard, prompting a soft intake of breath. The memory of that event resurfaces, and a faint pang of sorrow brushed against his heart once more.

"So it is," Lumine responds to Aether's reaction. "You know Aether-"

"Hey!" A voice breaks in, calling out for his attention. His gaze follows the sound and lands upon you, standing near the waiting limousine.

"The others are already in the limo," you signal him to hasten his steps.

Acknowledging your gesture from a distance, Aether conveys a nod. "I have to go," he informs Lumine before ending the call.

On the other side of the line, Lumine gazes at the disconnected call, silence stretching for a moment.

While she enjoys playfully teasing her twin brother from time to time, she still does deeply care for him. To see him like this...