Chapter 1

20 year old Anna Barnes stretched out on her bed and yawned, reaching over to stop her digital alarm clock. The room fell silent and Anna sighed, sitting up and smiling widely, finally, today was the big day. She had the opportunity of a lifetime to get a job interview at a famous publishing company. She jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom to take a long hot shower, readying herself for the freezing November air outside. She washed her long, silky, wavy brown hair whilst humming softly to herself as the steaming water cascaded down her body.
After half an hour, she stepped out of the walk-in shower and wrapped a towel around her, rubbing herself dry before walking into her room and getting dressed in a black pencil skirt, white blouse and tights. She slipped on her favourite black high heels and stood up, looking at herself in the full length mirror, nodding with satisfaction. She ran a brush through her now dry hair and walked out of her room to get breakfast, staying careful not to get anything on her clothes.
After her breakfast and brushing her teeth, Anna glanced up at the clock, her interview was in an hour. She looked back at herself in the mirror and shrugged, "Why not?" She asked herself, putting on a light coat of lip gloss over her pink lips. She took a deep breath and closed her brown eyes, trying to calm her racing heart. She opened her eyes again and nodded to herself, "Ok, come on Anna, you can do this." She said to herself. She picked up her bag and coat and headed to the front door of her apartment, locking it tight behind her. She walked down the stairs and out into the cold, pulling on her gloves and zipping up her coat as she walked to the bus stop. She stood there shivering, 'Man Seattle is cold!' She thought, looking up at the grey sky, it looked like it was about to snow, or rain, either way the clouds didn't look good. To Anna's relief, the bus pulled up and she climbed on, paying the fare and finding a seat at the back of the almost empty bus. She looked through her CV and notes. Hopefully she wouldn't blow this interview, she really needed the money. Slipping her earphones into her ears, she read over everything she needed whilst listening to 'I don't love you.' By My Chemical Romance.

Anna jogged through the doors of the Colburn publishing skyscraper. She sighed and looked around, "Whoa." She breathed. The floor was made of white sandstone, as well as the front desk. She walked over and spoke to the receptionist who pointed her down the hall towards an elevator. Anna followed the woman's directions and waited in the elevator until it reached the very top floor. She stepped out and pulled off her coat and gloves, sorting her hair back into place after the wind blew it. Even after the large gusts of wind, it was still soft and silky. She talked to yet another woman at the desk to let her boss know she was here. Anna sat on a crisp white leather sofa and read through her notes again. Her heart was still racing and nausea was stuck in her throat. She swallowed and took a shaky breath, trying to calm her nerves. She looked up as a voice said, "It's normal to be nervous." It was the woman at the desk.
Anna smiled, "This is my first job interview for a while."
"What happened to your last job?" The woman asked.
"Have you heard of a place down town called Davis and Co? Close to the local park?" Anna asked.
The woman nodded, "Oh yes, it went out of business and was knocked down."
Anna nodded, "Yeah." She sighed.
The woman raised an eyebrow, "So you have experience for this type of job?"
Anna nodded again, "Yeah, I used to help my dad with his stories as I grew up and got a job at Davis."
The woman smiled, "That's a good way to start. You'll do fine." She said encouragingly.
Anna smiled shakily at her, "Thanks."
The woman got up and poured out a glass of water, handing it to her, "Here, you look a little pale, are you alright?"
Anna took the water gratefully and took a shaky sip, she nodded, "I'm fine, thank you." She smiled.
The woman rubbed Anna's shoulder, "You'll do fine, just stay positive and honest."
Anna smiled and took another sip of water, feeling a little better.