Chapter 23

A/N: i'm back baby!!! Woohoo! The sling is off and my arm's back in action. Take that doctors who said it'll take ages! Hahahahahahaaaaa! Phew... Ok. I'm calm. Cool. Collected. Enjoy the chapter ^.^

The next time Harry opened his eyes the room was pitch black and eerily still. At first he didn't recognise where he was and reached out to feel Anna's familiar figure beside him. There was nothing. He's heart squeezed tightly, 'That's right. She was taken away from me.' He thought dully as his eyes grew accustomed to the dark. He slowly turned his head down to look at the sling that held his left arm and glared at it (I feel ya man! Glare at that sling!) before looking up and just making out the outlines of a crib. He sat up and slowly slipped his legs of the bed, wincing at the stiffness throughout his body and the sharp, near unbearable pain shooting through his shoulder. He walked unsteadily towards the crib and looked down to find Nate, sleeping restlessly in the blue blanket Anna would always wrap him in. Harry gripped the railing of the crib, his knuckles turning white with anger, he tried to kill his son. And took Anna away from him. An inhuman growl almost escaped him if it wasn't for Nate opening his big blue eyes and staring up at his daddy. Tiny hands reached up to him and Harry instantly felt his shoulders relax slightly. He reached down and let the small baby wrap his hands around two of his fingers and squeeze. Harry smiled sadly down at his son, even as a baby, Nate knew that he's father was upset, but was still confused on why his mother wasn't there to help him. Harry held Nate's gaze for a few more seconds before closing his eyes to blink away a few stray tears in the corner of his eyes. Nate gurgled and outstretched his arms again, making Harry chuckle weakly as he scooped the baby up carefully in one arm, holding him as close as possible. Harry sighed, staring out the window facing the parking lot. The all too familiar shadows of paparazzi vans and people crowding outside even at this hour to get the big scoop of Anna's disappearance and the cause of Harry being hospitalised. He clenched his teeth together, they probably wanted pictures of Nate too, 'Why can't they just fuck off already?!' His thoughts growled.
"It's not good to be up yet. You should be resting Mr Colburn."
Harry whirled around ready to fight but relaxed when he saw it was Detective Steele, the man in charge of finding Anna. He sighed and shook his head, "Don't sneak up on me like that." He mumbled, trying to soothe Nate after the sudden movement. The detective nodded, "My apologise, I hadn't realised you were still slightly jumpy."
"I'll be on edge until I get my fiancé back safe and Samuels is put away for good."
The older man nodded again, "That's understandable." He then pulled out a small notebook, "Well, maybe you'd like to know about the breakthrough we've made?"
Harry's head snapped up in his direction, eyes wide and heart pounding, "You found her?" He asked, hope rising in his voice. Steele shook his head and looked down at his pad, "No. But we have a list of hideouts and popular areas for him to be which we got out of one of his men. Some of them are in a different state across the country." He said, glancing back up to see the hope draining out of Harry's body as he slumped back against the wall, sighing sadly, "In other words, nothing on Anna at all."
"No. But we have some men looking into some business in Ohio. Could be some kind of clue there. And another group checking out stuff on a few spots on the coast. I'll also be sending some men to investigate a place in Wisconsin. For all we know she could be anywhere in the U.S by now. Probably not even in the U.S anymore."
"Don't say that." Harry growled, "She's here somewhere, and we're going to find her, you hear me?"
The detective nodded shortly and tucked his notepad back into his back pocket, "Yes sir. I'll take my leave now. Get some rest otherwise I won't let you carry on in the investigation." He said strictly before exiting. Harry glared after the middle aged man before turning his attention back to Nate, who was slowly falling back to sleep. The more he looked at his son, the more his heart pined for Anna to be there next to him, safe, happy and just there with them. With these thoughts of despair, he gently placed Nate back into his crib and returned to his own hospital bed where he lay awake for the rest of the night, wondering if Anna was ok.

A/N: I know I know, its really short, shorter than my usual chapters but I wanna keep you guys in suspense. Plus I have writers block again -_- next chapter coming soon though, I have a week off. Until then, love ya! ^.^