Chapter 28

3 months later...

Harry stood beside Anna under a large black umbrella. Anna settled Nate in her arms more comfortably as the cold wind and rain assaulted them. The solemn crowd around them stood in silence, a few sobs heard here and there as the priest said prayers. A woman with long honey coloured hair stepped forward, tears spilling from her bloodshot blue eyes as she bent awkwardly over her large baby bump to place a lone white lily atop the chestnut coffin before her. Anna felt tears well up in her own eyes again as they began lowering the coffin into the ground and the police force across from them raised their left hands to their heads in a salute. Harry placed an arm around Anna's shoulders comfortingly and looked on mournfully. He glanced over to the woman who stood beside Bennet, crying into his shoulder as he hugged her tightly, letting his own tears spill for his friend. Slowly the crowd began to break up apart from a few lingerers. Harry took Nate from Anna as she passed him to him before walking over to the pregnant woman, still sobbing uncontrollably. It was his girlfriend before he died. Sara, was her name that Harry had recently discovered. He watched as Anna approached her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned and threw her arms around her, hugging her tightly. Anna returned the embrace and murmured softly to the woman, helping calm her down, "Shhh it's alright, it's alright. He's not completely gone Sara. He'll always be with you and your baby in heart."
Sara drew away from their embrace to wipe her eyes and blow her reddening nose, "I know. I just want him here physically. He'll never get the chance to see his little girl grow up." She sobbed.
Anna hugged her again, "I know."
Bennet joined the women, "I'll do everything I can to help Sara, I promise."
Sara smiled sadly at him and hugged him too, "You've already done so much for me Tommy. I don't know how to thank you."
Bennet smiled at her, "You don't have to. Just hang in there for the baby." He then looked over to Harry, who stood staring at the new gravestone. He looked back to the women and nodded to them both, "I'll go talk to Harry."
Anna nodded and watched as he walked towards him before turning to Sara who was once again wiping her eyes. Deciding to try and lighten her mood Anna gestured to Sara's bump, "So it's a girl after all?"
Sara nodded, seeming relieved to have something to talk about, "Yes. I already have a name for her, Amber Lucile Malcolm."
"That's a beautiful name Sara." Anna smiled, squeezing the woman's hands comfortingly. Sara nodded, smiling a small, sad smile, "Thank you. She's named after his mother and grandmother. He loved those two very much."
Anna lowered her eyes to the floor, "I feel terrible for what happened."
It was now Sara's turn to squeeze Anna's hands in comfort, "It's not your fault. He was killed in action and died a hero. He saved you and your son. I'm so proud even if he isn't here now. But I know he wouldn't regret what he did. Seth would want us to be happy."
Anna blinked back her own tears and sniffled, "I know. But still, I'm so sorry."

Bennet appeared beside Harry and stared down at his friend's grave,

Here lies Seth Travis Malcolm
May 1989- September 2015
Beloved partner, friend, father and hero

"He would have rolled his eyes at his middle name." Bennet chuckled sadly, "He always found it embarrassing."
Harry swallowed the lump in his throat and bounced Nate softly on his hip, "I'm sorry Bennet. I feel at fault for this. If I had been more careful, he would've still been here."
Bennet shook his head, "No one knew they were planning that surprise attack. There wasn't anything we would've been able to do. It wasn't your fault. That man took Noah's sister, then my best friend... Brother even. Now I'm hoping he's rotting in hell."
"As do I." Came Noah's voice from behind them. They two men turned and nodded to him. Noah stepped forward and lay a single flower on Malcolm's stone before standing again and sighing, "He didn't deserve any of this to had happened to him."
"The good die young almost all the time Noah." Bennet said softly, blinking rapidly. Harry noticed and patted his shoulder, "You can let it out. No one will mind."
Bennet closed his eyes and let the tears fall as he kneeled before his friend's name, sobbing. Noah jerked his head to the side, "Let's give him some time."
Harry nodded and followed behind him, glancing back at Bennet as he cradled his head in his hands. Harry turned back to face forward, feeling his own grief rise with Bennet's. Noah noticed and tried to take his mind off of it, he nodded over to Anna and Sara, "They're getting along well."
"Yeah, they've been talking daily since Sara came to visit Anna in hospital. Along with Helen, Grace and Willow. They've become almost inseparable." Harry chuckled softly.
Noah smiled slightly, "That's good. She'll need a few girl friends to help her go through this time."
"I heard the baby was going to be a girl. Right?"
Noah nodded, "Yup. She named her after Malcolm's mother and grandmother. She'll be setting up play dates with this little guy soon." He said, gently rubbing Nate's nose as he looked up at him. Harry nodded and smiled down at his boy lovingly. Before looking up again, "We'll be moving to that house in the country soon. After the wedding."
Noah nodded, "Got it, We'll make sure the finishing touches are ready for when you get back from your honeymoon."
Harry smiled gratefully at his best friend, "Thank you. Are you sure you'll be alright with Nate for a few weeks?"
"Sure. I love this kid. I'm the fun uncle aren't I, huh bud?" He grinned and kneeled down to Nate, who gurgled and poked softly at Noah's rain soaked hair. Harry chuckled at looked at his friend, "What would we do without you?"
"You'd be trying to find an over charging babysitter or dealing with your baby crazy mom." He laughed. Harry nodded and cracked a bigger smile as they walked towards the women who were still engulfed in their chatter.

A/N: R.I.P Malcolm, you were the best cop partner character I ever had :,,(
I know, it was a depressing chapter but hey, gots to pay the respects to the fictional peeps too. Thanks for reading, next chapter is the last one, see ya then! ^.^