Part 5

I walked over to the table, and as my footsteps approached, Vivienne looked up from her book, and then closed it.

I saw her looking at my outfit, and she gave me a small smile.

"It's odd seeing you out of uniform. I like your outfit."

"Thanks." I said, sitting down, "I like yours too. Guess we both chose leather jackets for tonight."

"Faux." Vivienne said, "Is yours?"

"Duh." I said, and Vivienne chuckled, her dimples showing.

"Thanks for the coffee." I said, "I'll get you back another time."

Another time.

How do you even know there will be another time, idiot?

"Oh, so we're hanging out again?" Vivienne asked, in a joking tone.

"Only if you want." I said back, and Vivienne looked at me for a moment, studying me.

"Hm. Let's get to work."

Vivienne and I wound up doing a PowerPoint. However, thanks to Vivienne, it was the most sophisticated and professional looking PowerPoint I had ever seen.

"I'm impressed." I said to her, "I don't know half of these features."

"I'm not proud of myself that I do." Vivienne said, "Over the summer, my mother made me take a Microsoft Suite course. I've even mastered Excel, much to my chagrin."

"Your mother made you do that over the summer?" I asked her.

"She doesn't miss a beat." Vivienne said, "She's a lawyer. A stickler."

"That's how my dad is." I said to Vivienne, "Except he's not a lawyer. He works in finance."

"So does my dad." Vivienne said, "However, he's not a stickler. He's pretty chill, actually. Especially for being an executive."

"That's like my soon to be stepfather." I said, "He's a doctor, but he is really chill. Nothing phases him."

Vivienne looked at me, "Your parents are divorced?"

"They got divorced when I was ten."

"Rough age." Vivienne said, "Young enough to remember it, and old enough for it to affect you."

"That's...absolutely correct." I said.

"My Aunt and Uncle got divorced when I was younger, my cousins were in their early teens. It really affected them." Vivienne said, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I said, "I have a question for you, actually."

"Okay." Vivienne said, leaning back in her chair.

"It's not common for someone to transfer schools in their last semester of senior year. Why did you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Oh, I don't mind. It's a cliche answer. My father got a new job that paid a lot more. It was a no brainer." Vivienne said, "Nothing too dramatic."

"Was it tough for you to move away from your high school?"

"Fuck no." Vivienne chuckled, "I went to a private school in New York, and it was full of people I didn't like. I didn't care one bit about leaving."

"At least it wasn't upsetting for you, then." I said to Vivienne.

"Not at all." she said, "I'm going to put the finishing touches on the project. How about you proofread?"

"Sounds like a plan." I said, and started looking at the presentation pulled up on my laptop.

After about ten minutes, I said, "I only had to add one comma. Everything looks great."