Part 19

Prom was on everyone's mind as it got to the end of May- and when the Saturday it was that prom arrived....I was kind of ready to get it over with.

I was over high school. Over my private school bubble.

Though I was looking forward to wearing my dress. And seeing Vivienne in hers.

Vivienne was going to be getting ready on her own. She told me that her mother was making her go to a friend's salon to get her hair and makeup done- much to her chagrin.

I was worried about one thing- if Vivienne's parents were at pictures, and my dad was too. Vivienne's parents knew we were more than friends.

"I think of everything, Charlotte. My parents know to not say a word." Vivienne reassured me.

Olivia, Amanda, Valentina, and I were getting our hair and makeup done at the same time. Valentina's mother is a hairstylist, so we were going to go to her salon.

I decided to go simple. I wanted my hair to be down and slightly curled at the ends, and for my makeup to be light and glowy. It went best with the blush colored dress.

As I was getting my hair done, Vivienne texted me and said:

My hair is done. How about we dont send pics and wait until we see each other?

I texted her back that was a good idea.

Vivienne was going to show up to pictures at Amanda's house. And I felt giddy at the thought of seeing her.

Amanda's parents had set up charcuterie boards and had alcohol for the parents of everyone that was at pictures- they kept their sliding kitchen door open that led to their backyard- which was extremely spacious, and had a pool as well.

My mom and Kenneth were the first parents to arrive.

"Oh my god, you look beautiful." my mom said, giving me a hug. She then hugged Olivia, who was standing next to me and said, "You too. I love seeing you both grown up. I remember when you were toddlers."

My mom quietly asked me if Vivienne was there, and I told her not yet.

More parents started arriving, as well as Valentina and Amanda's dates. My dad, Nicole, Michelle, and Bella arrived as well- and I knew that my mom was going to try to avoid them as much as possible. But she would be civil if she spoke to them.

My dad and Nicole each gave me a hug.

"You look beautiful!" Nicole said, "I love your dress so much."

"I can't believe how grown up you look, Char." my dad said- and at the same time I noticed Vivienne walking into the backyard, her parents behind her.

As Vivienne walked out, it was truly like everyone else faded around her.

"Who is that? She's stunning." Nicole said.

"That's Vivienne." I said, "She's become my friend, as well as friends with the group."

Amanda's dad came up to my dad and Nicole, offering them some fancy kind of beer, which distracted them.

Vivienne spotted me out and a smile formed on her face. I swore she picked up her pace and started walking toward me.

Her peach dress looked stunning. Her hair was down and blown out. Her makeup was peachy as well, with a little pop of purple in her eyeshadow that really brought out her green eyes.

I made sure we were out of earshot of my dad when I said, "You look so beautiful, Viv."

Vivienne flashed me a smile, showing her dimples. She then said, "You look as pretty as a princess. You deserve a crown on your head, my gal."