Part 30

I was a bit nervous to go to Nicole's surprise party. I told my dad that I was bringing my girlfriend- and he said back, "Okay, sounds good."

At least it wasn't a bad reaction.

Michelle was very glad that I was going to Nicole's surprise party. She told me that Nicole was going out with her sister all day while the party was being set up and that she was expecting to go to dinner with my father- but instead the party would be happening.

I was told to arrive at 7:30 PM.

Vivienne came to my house at 7, and I was going to drive us to my dads home. Michelle was already there, along with my brother and his girlfriend. Michelle told me that our father was also being much nicer to Grayson regarding his girlfriend being African-American. Which he should have been from the beginning- but at least there was progress.

"Girls, you're going to be fine." my mom said to us. She could tell we were a bit nervous as we stood in the kitchen with her, "And if by some minor change you're not having a very good time or feel uncomfortable, come right back here."

"Thank you so much." Vivienne said to my mom, "It's appreciated."

"It is." I nodded.

I drove Viv and us over to my dads- and she was impressed when we pulled up to his house.

"Wow." she said, "Nice place he's got here."

"It is." I said, "Tell him that- he will love you."

When we walked in, we were immediately greeted by my brother and his girlfriend, along with Michelle.

"It's good to see you." Michelle said, giving Vivienne a hug.

There were already at least 20 people in the living room, and furniture was being rearranged so that people could hide behind it.

My father spotted us out, and then started walking over to where Vivienne and I were standing with Michelle.

"Hey, Char." he said, and he gave me a quick hug. I could tell he was busy trying to arrange the surprise, "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too." I said, "Dad, this is Vivienne...my girlfriend."

My dad didn't skip a beat as he shook Vivienne's hand and said, "I recognize you. You were at prom with Charlotte. Your parents were very kind, give them my best."

"Will do." Vivienne said, "They'll be glad to hear it. Thanks, Mr. Voss."

My dad gave Vivienne a smile, and then said loudly, "Everyone! Nicole will be here in a few minutes, we all have to hide. Michelle, you've got the lights?"

"Got it." Michelle nodded.

Vivienne and I hid behind one of the couches, crouching down in the dark, huddled together.

"You smell nice." I whispered to her.

"New perfume." she said, "I'll spray some on you later."

I could tell that Vivienne was still a little bit on edge, so I held on to her hand as we waited for the front door to open, and the cue to say surprise.

The front door opened, and Nicole walked in with her sister, Megan.

"Why is it dark in here?" I heard Nicole say, confused.

The light then flickered on, and we all jumped up.

"SURPRISE!" everyone yelled in unison.

"Oh my god!" Nicole said, putting her hand over her mouth. She then looked at my dad and said, "You did not!"