Saloon

“Nom nom, I put money on your dresser for Nhlamulo and your hair. Don’t cook today, we are going to my practice, we will eat there.” Bab’Derek.
I wake up at 9am. Nhlamulo is still sleeping, I mop the floors and make us breakfast then bath after eating. Nhlamulo wakes up an hour later, and says that her friend will be here shortly to plait. She washes the dishes while I get busy with her friend, Babe calls and informs us that he will pick us up at 2pm. Nhlamulo gets ready and I finish off her friend, she pays me R400 for her box braids. Back at home this style was R100 hai, Johannesburg is really the city of gold.
Nhlamulo convinces me to wear the shorts from yesterday with sneakers sneakers. We close the curtains and switch on the lights, Babe finds us outside the house. I sit at the back, Nhlamulo takes the front seat. We drive to Vosloorus, we greet the people waiting. Babe introduces me to the secretary, then she knocks off. Nhlamulo and I capture patients medical aid details on the computer for claims, while Babe consults them. We leave for the restaurant at 8pm.
“Nhlamu, your father called earlier, you need to go back home. I will leave with you in the morning.” Bab’Derek.
“That sucks. Ntsumi has to plait my other friend.” Nhlamu.
“Unfortunately, your mother needs you. Your friend can come to the house, Ntsumi will be home.” Bab’Derek says, I am not bothered by being alone. Sebenzile never wanted to hang out with me and she left me alone in the house. I am a little sad though. Babe pays and we leave for the house, Nhlamulo packs her bags, we sleep in her room.
*Tititititi*her alarm wakes us up the following morning. She takes a shower, meanwhile I make her bed. I make coffee for us and wait for them. Bab’Derek is the first one to join me. He thanks me and takes his cup, I take out the car again. This time, I am feeling confident.
“I will see you later okay.” Babe.
“Cuz, I will see you at home for Christmas.” Nhlamulo hugs me.
I sweep the floors and wash our cups then  listen to music. I take our meat for dinner, beef and chicken beasts. At 8am Nhlamulo’s friend arrives, with her sister to both plait, I am happy for the money. Her sister wants a straight up and she wants box braids. I am starving by the time  I finish plaiting them.
The girl is officially a thousand Rands richer. Matric dance money is coming along. I walk them out then take a bath. I start dinner pap, meat and a salad. I watch a movie to pass time, Babe is late today.
“Nomaswazi, wake up and eat.” Babe wakes me up.
“Eat and go sleep my angel.” Babe. I nod my head and eat, I struggle to keep my eyes open. I wake up in bed the next day at 10am. My waist is tired from sleeping for so long.
I’m alone, I bath then clean the house. Babe left me a note that I must not cook. I get bored and take a walk to the mall to buy hairpieces, I buy myself ice cream on my way back. Senbenzile would die, if she could see me now, eating ice cream from town. The house phone rings as I lock the door.
“Hello.”
“Nom nom, where have you been? I’ve been calling is everything okay?” Bab’Derek sounding panicked.
“I am sorry, I didn’t answer, I called your office and the gentleman said he would give you the message.”
“Oh, he must’ve forgotten. I was checking up on you. Should I bring anything?” Bab’Derek.
“Nothing, thank you.”
“Okay, see you later.” He says then he hangs up. I unplait my hair and start plaiting 8 lines.
“Nom nom, where are you?” Bab’Derek.
“In the bedroom, Babe.” I hear his footsteps.
“That looks beautiful, I didn’t know it was possible to plait your own hair.” Bab’Derek.
“I didn’t have money for the salon at home so I learned.”
“Are you almost done? I want us to watch a movie.” Babe.
“In 20 minutes I will be ready.” He says he is going to change and start the washing machine.  I join him once I’m done, he made popcorn and took out snacks for us.
“Tomorrow I want us to go buy your school supplies, we will be traveling to my home town in Elim, for Christmas and we will come back on the 1st. I have a house in the yard, you will stay with me. If you don’t like the village, you can let me know and we will come back.” Bab’Derek.
“Yebo Babe.” I have been living in a village all my life, I don’t think it will be hard. We go to bed and wake up the next day, I take out the laundry while Babe washes the car. We leave for Mall of Africa, to buy my school supplies and clothes, Babe forces me to buy Christmas clothes.  I get 3 pairs of branded sneakers and a traveling bag with matching vanity.
He suggests that we watch a movie at the cinema then have dinner. Sunday we cook together and he teaches me how to make blueberry muffins. I spend Monday and Tuesday alone at home, on Wednesday we go to the practice during lunchtime. Babe let’s me drive us home.
Today we are driving to Elim, we left Woodmead at 6am. We stop in Polokwane, for brunch then we drive off to Elim complex. Babe calls his niece to meet us there, we wait for her at a braai place. We get dinner and share with his niece then buy groceries to take home. My heart beats out of my chest as we near the house. Babe parks the car and some boys run to the boot to offload the groceries.
“Babe, why did we call sesi to the store?”
“She lives here with her kids and takes care of kokwane, she knows what they need.” Babe.
“Oh. So that is why you let her call you when she was done shopping?”
“Yes Nom nom, she is stubborn like you, she would not use the money I send her. This way, she buys for everyone. Come let us go greet everyone, we don’t want them saying we are snobs.” Babe laughs getting out of the car.
“Ah ah ah, ntombi yosaseka.(a beautiful girl) ” An old lady ululates from under the tree, Babe and I walk towards her, she dances and touches my face, “Derek, languteka u sasekile N’wana.(Derek look how beautiful the child is.) ” The old lady takes my hand and spins me around.
My Xitsonga is not that good but I know she said, Bab’Derek’s daughter is beautiful.
She offers me a seat, next to her on the grass mat, Babe sits on a chair. Kokwana (Granny) asks me my name and how old I am. I answer her in Isiswati, she promises to teach me our language. Sesi brings us drinks, I hate this purple drink, but I drink it. I take the glasses into the house, sesi is chopping cabbage for dinner. I help her with the onions.
“I’m going to fetch my son from his father’s house. Are you going with me?” Sesi asks. I nod and go tell Babe. The walk to her baby daddy is long, I haven’t walked in a long time. City life has ruined me.