Sleeping

She gets out off the car and I give her a hug. We pack up and go to Babe’s house. He is having his breakfast when we arrive, Miso explains to him that they are visiting him for a few days. He sounds happy that he will have people around, because I am going back to school. I help Babe cook chicken feet, intestines and pap for dinner. I take a lunch box, my anxiety is making me full. I really need to book my session with my therapist. As soon as Monday.
“Are you okay Ntsumi ya mina?” Babe touches my shoulder.
“Yes Babe, I must Make an appointment with the therapist.”
“Why are the nightmares back? Should I put you on sleeping pills?” Babe.
“No, it has been a stressful few weeks. I will be okay. We need to leave though or we will be late.”
“Okay, Moreetsi look after my baby.” Babe.
“I will, thank you for the food.”Bhuti shakes Babe’s hand.
The drive to the airport is nerve wrecking, Bhuti is playing a mixture of gospel. The words of Mmatema stick with me even when we park at the airport and go to the lounge, we are meet by the man who greeted us when Pheko left, I forgot his name but he is the one who leads us to the lounge with the other family members.
Everyone seems tense and anxious. Mama has her hand in mine, Bhuti is chatting with some of the officials.
“Flight 7ACEN has been delayed due to technical issues, your cooperation will be highly appreciated.” The airport staff announces. I look up at Bhuti, he gives me a reassuring smile. Mama hums a song, I lay my head on her thighs.
“Rego, wake up. They are here.”Mama wakes my up, the lounge is quiet. We are told to go to gate 2. As we walk there, the song comes back to my head. “For he has good plans for you and they’re plans to help you prosper. Not plans to make you perish. Just believe he has made a way. Even in your darkest sins. He will shine so bright. The way, the truth, the life, I trust he has made a way.”
There’s a stretcher being pulled as we enter, we can’t see the person as the medical team is busy with them. The one man talks to the paramedics that I did not notice. “Male patient, given pain medication, has a catheter and oxygen, vitals are stable.” The man says.
“Moreetsi, welcome home.” The paramedic says Reading the file, my heart drops. I knew Pheko was hurt but I was not expecting him to have bandages on his arms, hands, stomach and left thigh to leg. A neck collar and a swollen face with scratches and closed eye.
What happened while he was out there? Who hurt him so bad? Mama calls me to see him, they are in front of me. My tears fall, I kiss him on his forehead and he flinches. “This is doctor Tladi, she is riding with him to the hospital would you like to go with them?” Bhuti asks.
“Yes please, nice to meet you doctor.”
“We will meet you there okay.” Mama gives me a hug and she squeezes Pheko’s hand. We are taken to an ambulance, there’s 4 others waiting, the noise is louder as we drive out. I pray for Pheko and the sirens are all quite but the flights are flashing when I open my eyes.
“Why did you stop the sirens?”
The medic looks at me through the mirror then he looks at Pheko. Realization hits me, they lost one of the patients. The silence is to honour the patient. I nod my head and look at Pheko’s vitals on the machine, his heart is still beating, he keeps slipping into unconsciousness but the doctor assures me that, they gave him heavy medication to avoid him being in pain and distress in the air.
The ambulance stops and the doors open, I am greeted by a porter and nurse. Pheko is pushed inside the hospital. Tladi asks that I fill in the admission forms while they hand him over to the team. Bhuti and mama arrive after 20 minutes, I have been waiting in the waiting area. Tladi went to attend the other patients. An elderly lady walks out the door coming to the reception area crying, she has the nurse supporting her. My heart clenches, at the thought of losing Pheko. I stand up to stretch my legs.
“Moreetsi, please follow me.” Mama holds my hand, and we follow the doctor to the elevators. We get off on the 4th floor, it smells like medication, it’s silent, only the machines are making a sound.
“Please come in.”the doctor and nurse open the glass door written 4. We enter and see Pheko laying on the bed.
“Good evening, I am doctor Meso, I will be your primary doctor. Your husband’s colleagues stepped on a land mine while preparing the plane for evacuation. Mr Moreetsi was close to the blast which injured his chest, head, hands and leg. He fell and broke his ankle, they out in wires to hold it in place, his hands and arms were cleaned and dressed to treat the burn wounds. The burns are not skin deep, his leg however needs to be fixed and he needs a skin graft. His leg wound was left open until tomorrow morning when we take him to theatre. He is stable enough for that. The plastic team will come in the morning to see him, we are taking skin from his back to close his leg.”
“Is he okay though?”
“Yes, his on the oxygen to clear his lungs of the particles. I will remove it after theatre. He is sleepy because of the heavy medication. You can see him but please let him rest.” Meso.
“Thank you. Can I come in the morning before theatre or should we come for the visit at 11?”
“We are taking him at 6am. You can come at 11 he will be done.” Meso.
“Thank you so much for helping us this late.”
“It’s a pleasure Mrs Moreetsi.” Meso.
“Rego please, Mrs M is mama here.” We laugh, they leave and mama stands next to the bed. He looks so peaceful, mama prayers over him, I told his hand.
“Hey Motho waka, you are home now. The doctors are taking you to theatre, I am going to come in the morning and I will be waiting for you here. Remember that I love you. I am not driving myself home, Bhuti is here so don’t freak out.”
“Shima, you must fight and be well. Momo needs siblings. Morris banged your doors, deal with him.”She laughs wiping her tears. I take her hand and leave the ward, Bhuti stays and talks to him.
He calls us to the car after a few minutes and he drives to the Moreetsi house. I call Miso to Update him and he promises to come to the hospital in the afternoon. My body gives into sleep at 1am. I wake up at 5am after my alarm goes off. I take a shower and get dressed in leggings and a hoodie and sneakers . Mama is getting the kids ready when I get to the kitchen. I greet them and grab water requesting a ride to the hospital.
“I wouldn’t want your husband, going crazy because mosali wage was in a strangers car. Let us go.” Bhuti.
“His dramatic, did you see his heart rate going up, when I told him. I was leaving.”Bhuti laughs nodding.
We drive to the hospital silently. I say a prayer internally that everything goes well.