Stranger Danger

The following morning we wake up to the smell of baked goods. I bath first then Pheko follows, I join Babe in the kitchen and I sit on the counter,” Good morning Ntsumi yamina.” Babe.
“Good morning Babe, how did you sleep?”
“Good thanks, my girl is at home.” Babe.
“Good morning.” Pheko greets.
“Good Morning, did you sleep well?” Babe asks Pheko who is settles next to me on the chair.
“Yes thank you. Do you need help?” Pheko offers but Babe declines saying he is spoiling us only for today. After breakfast I wash the dishes then pack a few of my books and laptop charger which I forgot.
Babe cooks late lunch which we share over laughs. Uncle Ben and his wife join us for dinner. I wash the dishes with his wife.
“How is your husband treating you?” She asks.
“So far so good.”
“I hope you remember that you can come home anytime.”
“I know mama, I will inform you if he mistreats me.”  She nods and wipes her hands, we join the men outside. Uncle Ben and his wife are the first to leave, Babe packs left over containers for us before we drive to Pheko’s listening to music.
“Pick a room, I don’t mind sleeping with you though but if you are not comfortable it’s okay. We will have to share when Gomo comes over on weekends.” Pheko. I nod my head and place my bag in Gomo’s room. It’s got twin beds and superhero bedding
“May you please show me where the iron is.”  He gets up and I follow him to the kitchen, the iron and ironing board are in the pantry. I thank him and ask him if he needs anything ironed. He says no and goes back to the tv. Pheko informs me that he needs to go to work the next day. We sleep in separate rooms, I hear him moving around the following morning. I fix his lunch and then he leaves. I bath and clean the house then I watch the television. Pheko’s phone call wakes me up. He tells me that he will be home late and that I shouldn’t cook. The food Babe gave us is enough. At 9 I hear him drive in, I quickly run to Gomo’s room to sleep.
Pheko and I have been living like a tent and landlord, who owe each other rent money for 4 days now. We had dinner at my house on Monday after we drove to work in 1 car. Then he had to knock off late from Tuesday and I drove myself to work. I cook and make us lunch, bath then watch my shows and when he comes back, I warm his food and change the channel to sports and chill in the bedroom and watch series on my tablet, I am a tenant on Babe’s Netflix and dstv even though Pheko sent me his passwords.
In the mornings, I wake up early, bath and make breakfast. I knock on the bedroom door then leave the house. Gomo is coming this afternoon.
I don’t know how we are going to work. I woke up extra early today and made the bed then packed my clothes in the bag.
I bathed and got dressed ready for work, but first I placed the bag on the door and knocked.
“I can’t wait for tomorrow, to see how you will avoid your husband.”  A text from Pheko reads as I drive out.
I don’t respond, because that will only stress me. It’s pay day, Nelson decided that we are getting take aways.
I complained about the amount of fat we eat and they laughed at me. I see my patients after sending him money for the food.
“Hey, food is here.” Khosa calls from the door. I finish my notes then I take my phone to join the gang in the kitchen.
“We bought you fish and a salad instead of chips.” Khosa.
“Thanks, I need to watch my oil intake. My dad has cholesterol.”
“Relax, you are too young to  stress, anyway how is marriage life?” Lerefolo.
“It’s marriage, like dating, ask me in a few months.” The conversation changes to weekend plans.
I leave work at 4pm then I pass by the supermarket to buy snacks and soft drinks. There is still time, I go to the toy store and buy a twister game Gomo asked for.
I put it in a gift bag and drive to the house. There is a car parked on my spot, I park behind Pheko and unload the shopping. I knock and enter.
“Sanbonani.” I greet Pheko, Gomo and his mother I guess. I place the bags on the counter. Gomo gives me a high five.
“Hey angel, how was work? Please meet Minnienhle Gomo’s mother.” Pheko says meeting me in the kitchen. He looks at my face  to check my reaction I guess.
“Hi Minnienhle, I’m.”
“Mama Ntsumi, I’ve heard a lot about you. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She laughs.
“Good things I hope. Would you like juice or tea? ”
“Good things, bonus mom. No thanks, I have to leave, I was waiting to meet someone’s bonus mama who is a doctor.” Minnienhle.
“Oh, sorry I am a little late. Maybe  we can have tea some other time?”
“On Sunday when you bring him?” Minnenhle.
“It’s a date.” We all stand up and walk her out to her car. “Momo, I will call you tomorrow on mama’s phone okay.” Minnie says and she gives Gomo a hug. She drives out and Pheko takes my keys to park my car. I unpack the snacks.
“Don’t cook we are going out.” Pheko says. I didn’t hear him come in.  I nod my head and pour snacks for Gomo. Then go to the bedroom to bath and  prepare for the outing. I change into jeans and a jersey. Pheko knocks on the door as I put on my shoes.
“What should I wear?” he asks, his wearing shorts. He gets into the bathroom and I take out jeans and a jersey for him.
“Gomo, please get your jacket.” He gets up and takes the dish to the sink, then he walks  to his bedroom, I check my socials. “Why wasn’t I told to wear brown.” Pheko dramatically asks. He goes back to the house and changes his jersey.
“Daddy is a copy cat.” Gomo teases, his laughter filling the car. We drive to Monte, and have dinner at that chicken place. Then we go to the arcade.
“u hv 2 cum home, ur fada is sick.”  An inbox from Sebenzile.
“I will speak to my husband and see when we can come.”
“Husband? Wena da Phasha cum 2 ask 4 ur hand in marriage, wat did u do? Dey wil wnt der money bck. ” Sebenzile.
“Paid who?my parents are dead, there’s no one to take my lobolo. Take back their money. You can’t be stupid and slow. How do you take money from a stranger.”