Spirit

It’s been a hectic week for me, Miso went back home Sunday morning. I had a conference in Pretoria east for the week and got home late, I haven’t seen Babe since Sunday, I call him daily though. I am rushing home because Pheko is leaving tomorrow, for a rescue mission. We have dinner with his family and Babe.
“Pheko, I am on my way.” I answer my phone.
“Okay.” I find him standing on under my parking 10 minutes later.
“Hey, is everything okay?”
“Yes, we are picking up your father. I wanted you to drive to his house. ” Pheko.
“Okay, how was your day?”
“It was okay, I packed and made your frozen meals.” Pheko makes me smile. He is thoughtful.
“I appreciate it.”
I drive us to my house in his Van. Babe is waiting for us, I greet aunty. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Aunty.
“Tell you what?” I frown.
“Papa Derick wabajwa.”Aunty.
“I thought he told you, I’m sorry.”
“I am praying for him with my church
ladies. He is going to be fine.” Aunty. My heart breaks for her. I actually haven’t thought of anyone but myself.
“I will come see you tomorrow.” I give her a hug and run to the car. Pheko is in the driver’s seat, Babe in the back. I take the front.
“I booked us a therapy session, I will reschedule it for when Pheko comes back.” Babe.
“Thank you sir.” Pheko. Arriving at his house, Gomo runs to open my door.
“Mama Ntsumi. Where were you?” Gomo.
“Hey, big boy. I was at work.”
“Granpa, did you drink your medication? Nkgono made you soup.” Gomo greets Babe, I raise my eyebrows at the new information. Pheko shakes his head at me. I ignore him.
“What is wrong with grandpa?”
“His stomach is painful and God is preparing his new bedroom, he will go live with him. He says he will always be with me like papa’s dad.” Gomo. I feel out of breath as he speaks, spinning around me.
“Oh, how was school my love?” I change the topic. Pheko opens the front door for us and they let me pass first.
Mrs Moreetsi, gives me a hug and greets Babe, leading him to the table. I appreciate her for putting a comfortable chair for him.
“Our guests are here. Papa Rego, this dinner is to thank you for giving me a lovely daughter and to thank God for time.”
“Thank you for the invite. Shall we pray?”Babe.
“Father, we come before you today and we give you all the praise, even when our hearts bleed, calm our spirits and help us accept your will, painful as it , may we come to you in our pain and be reminded that you knew us before we were born and Lord only you have the power to borrow and take, may their mother be their pillar in my absence, bless my son Pheko and his wife with beautiful kids, I may not be here Lord, I hope they have a girl who gives them grey hair. Heal them father, protect him as he travels out the country, may he remember that you are his strength, father you have given us time and we appreciate it, bless the kids and answer their prayers, more than anything may you grant them healing and mercy. Amen.” Babe. Mrs Moreetsi and I are in tears after the Amen, Pheko rubs my back and helps me wipe my tears.
“I felt the spirit, food is ready. Will you have your soup?” Mrs Moreetsi asks Babe who nods his head. I get up to give him a hug and then help mama to bring the food to the table.
Babe eats his butternut and chicken soup, we have samp and chicken stew with a butternut side. I help Bhut Morris wash the dishes after eating. He makes me promise to call him if I need anything in the week.
“I appreciate your support.”
“You are my sister, I love you.” Morris.
“I love you most.”
“Why are you loving my wife wena Morris? Where is miss thighs.” Pheko laughs hugging me from behind.
“She is my sister and I will be loving her all week long.” He shows his tongue.
“Here I kill. Don’t try me.” Pheko playfully punches Morris on his arm then he runs out, and Morris chases after him. I join Babe and Mrs M.
“I would like to rest now, the soup was delicious.” Babe sounding sleepy.
“I put some for you in a Tupper, I will bring more over the weekend.”
“Tumelo, stop running in the house. Pheko has to drive their phone home.”Mrs Moreetsi calls out on the door. Babe and I get into the car and wait for Pheko.