Farewell

It’s the day of my matric farewell. Bab’Chauke and his wife are here with Khens. Babe paid for my make up and hair extensions in a salon, he took the day off to help me prepare. Mr Moreetsi offered his Evoke. I don’t get the fuss about tonight. Khens wanted me to get long nails, I put my foot down.
How will I plait people with long nails? Nombi is here, the house is so busy you would swear it’s a wedding. I wish my mother was alive to see how far I’ve come but life is not a fairy tale.
“Nom nom, is everything okay my angel?” Babe asks. I was taking a walk and ended up in the backyard.
“Yes, I was thinking about Make, I miss her.”
“She is watching over you, I’m sure she is as proud as I am.” Babe.
“Thank you, so what am I getting if I pass?”
“What do you want?” Babe laughs.
“A car?” I tease.
“Hmm, let’s see what the bank says. For now get ready to hang out with people your age.” Babe helps me up and we get into the house using his back door.
“Is this the door you use to sneak out?” I wiggle my brows.
“My name is on the title deed, I don’t need sneaking young lady.” He has his arms around me, we get to my room and Mrs Chauke is putting my dress down.
“Good you are back, the stylist is here.” Nomsa the stylist puts my hair in a high bun, she curls two stands and let’s them loose, my make up is minimal with a pink popping lipstick. I have lashes on. Khens helps me with my dress, it seems shorter than before or maybe it’s the heels. Babe snaps photos of me alone, then some with Nombi, we get a few together. I look beautiful, now I see the fuss. Mr Moreetsi sent his driver to bring the car. Babe drives behind us to the venue outside the school. Khanysile looks beautiful in her mermaid dress.
“Friend, this is my brother Nombi, wow you look gorgeous.”
“Please, have you seen you? I know your house has mirrors, did you look at them this evening?” Khanysile.
“Stop being dramatic.” I brush her off. Compliments make me uncomfortable, I never know what to say or do. We are greeted and told that we will vote for the king and queen for the ball and there are prizes. Our starters are served, grilled or fried hake fish and vegetables. Followed by mains chicken or red meat with pasta and vegetables. Before desert the winners are announced and Khanysile won, we clap for them, then the dj plays music. I am over the night at 9pm.
I text Babe and he calls after a few heart beats. He teases me about being a home body but fetches us. Nombi is also bored because this is not the bash be expected. I did ask him what he expected going to a dance held at school with a 5 course meal and curfew. “Did you enjoy yourself?” Babe.
“Yes Babe, thank you. Nombi wants to go out though, may he go?”
“Only for tonight, you better call me to request for you when you are tired Nombi and no smoking.” Babe says looking at us through the mirror.
“Thank you papa.”Nombi.
“I’m not going anywhere, don’t look at me like that.”
“Please, please, your friends will be there.” Nombi.
“You never know who is watching you and wants to kidnap you. Go enjoy, I’m going to bath and sleep.”
Babe laughs as we enter the house. Nombi tries to convince me to go out, he gives up when he sees me walking to the kitchen in my sleepwear and gown.
“You are the most boring teenager ever. I bet you will stay at home instead of res.” Nombi.
“She will want this freedom soon.” Khens.
“There’s enough freedom in the house. Good night.” There’s a knock on the door, I am in bed uploading pictures on my social media. Babe walks in and sits on the edge of the bed.
“Do you feel unsafe?” Babe asks.
“No, I am safe. Why do you ask?”
“You mentioned the kidnapping and you haven’t spoken about it, to me at least since you came to stay with me.” Babe.
“I am sorry I made you feel that I was not safe, I am. I didn’t want to go out to a club, it doesn’t make sense to me to pay money for a hangover.” Babe laughs at my answer and walks out, biding me a good night. I wake up the next day with a friend request from Sebenzile. Most of my pictures don’t show my face, I  am usually facing the sun, this request freaks me out. I end up locking my social and removing my last night’s picture.
I know I’m probably paranoid because I used Ntsumi ka Derek as my name. I take a bath then join the family for breakfast, Bab’Chauke says they are leaving and I will see them in Limpopo when Babe takes leave from work. Nhlamulo’s friends invite people for me to plate for the first 2 and a half weeks of December. Babe complains that I am forever busy but I laugh it off. By the Christmas eve I have R3500 made from plaiting people. I bought Babe and Bab’chauke skirts from that expensive men store. I don’t get the fuss. This is to show my appreciation.
Today Babe and I have a date, watch movies and have dinner. My treat, I am prepared to emotionally blackmail him if he tries paying for anything. I got my licence, you know coldrink right. So lately I’m the designated driver. Tomorrow morning we are going to the village, Babe asked me if he could adopt me traditionally so that I fall under the Chauke’s incase he dies, I will be recognized as his child and I agreed.
This was after I stalked Sebenzile and saw pictures of my father getting married. I stalked the wife because Sebe tagged her and saw 3 children the oldest is my age and looks like me. I was hurt and cried the whole morning. My father has been living his best life in Soshanguve.
Babe assured me that I am loved and needed. I am still hurt but life is like that dish cloth that wipes beetroot at a funeral. In exciting news, I think Babe is seeing someone, last night he was blushing and texting like a teenager. Between you and me, his a gone boy.
“Papa, let us go, we will be late.” I call him out, he asked for 10 minutes, I’m sure he is on the phone with the lady.
He gets in the car after locking and focuses on his phone. “Papa, between us who is the teenager?” He laughs and focuses back on his phone. I give up, I drive us to the mall and buy movie tickets and popcorn. Babe is done chatting, we are having a normal conversation. I spoke too soon, before the movie ended he was back to smiling. I drove us home and gave him his Christmas present before I went to bed.
“Ntsumi, why would you spend so much money on me? Baby you have school in a few weeks.” Babe, asks after he bursts into my room.
“You deserve it, it’s a gift as your official daughter. I know you live the chip name shirts. ”
“You are silly, thank you. It is beautiful.” Babe.
“You can wear it to your date.” We laugh. The drive to Elim is long, there’s a lot of cars on the road. We arrive late, Sesi is also here for the ceremony. I am officially a Chauke. Christmas is overall nice, we travel back home on the 2nd because Babe has work. Nombi is stressing about the results since , Babe received a call from the department of education. I am supposed to go to Sandton tomorrow because I did well. He is over the moon.