Travel

We are celebrating a successful 2 months of the outreach programme, we have been working on. Everyone is impressed and wants to expand the program to other provinces and Namibia. I am getting ready for a braai at Col Moreetsi’s, who got a promotion. To Brigadier General, brig Gen in short. It’s the 6th time I am going to the house. The first time I went for a debriefing.
“Ntsumi, I am leaving you if you are not ready in 5 minutes.” Babe. Calls from the door, his impatient with me. I take my bag and phone and set the alarm. Aunty went home for the weekend. Babe is in the passenger seat, I laugh.
“Babe, are you sick?” he laughs.
“Angikhumbuli ngenta lihlaya.(I don’t remember making a joke.)” I ask concerned, he can’t be sick.
“When you start speaking SiSwati, I know you are serious. I’m giving you a once in a lifetime opportunity to drive my car while I can drive myself.” Babe.
“Oh, I was worried.”  I drive to the Moreetsi house and wow the cars parked out and inside the yard are proper.
“S’khape abantu emhlabeni.(we are accompanying people on Earth.) ” Babe laughs.
“You are also living, a 22year old driving a Copper 2019 model. Soon to open your own practice. I might join you.” Babe.
“I appreciate what I have Babe, I’m simply admiring actually I’m inspired to work harder.”
“I’m glad, let’s go eat free food.” Babe says and we walk out.
“This place is beautiful, I see what you meant.” Babe.
I nod my head, we greet a few people who are sitting outside on the shade, there’s a tent with food and near the door are tables with welcome drinks and platters with finger snacks. Babe gives me a juice glass and he takes the gin. I give him a side eye and he laughs. “Dombolo. Colonel Chauke.” Pheko greets, I click my tongue. “Moreetsi, we spoke about name calling.” Babe, I pout after showing my tongue to Pheko.
“I apologize colonel.”Pheko.
“I am colonel at the office. Where is everyone.” Babe asks, Pheko takes us to the lounge.
“Girlfriend.” Oagomotsa calls out from the stairs. He is Pheko’s son, we clicked the first time I came here. I call him Gomo.
“S’thandwa sam, how are you?”I kneel and give him a hug.
“You look beautiful, you must do your hair like this everyday.” Gomo, I plaited myself a 4 line straight back.
“You must give me money or take me to the salon.” I tease.
“I will wash daddy’s car and take you to the salon, but you must drive us, I can’t drive.” Gomo says walking me to the couch, Pheko is walking behind us, Babe already on the couch.
“Okay, thank you. Tell me when you have the money.”  He hugs me and runs off.
“My poor child.” Pheko.
“Why are you still here?”
“Baba, you see she is starting me.” Pheko.
“You two behave like kids, do you want the naughty corner.” Babe.
“Welcome to my world.” Mr Moreetsi says from behind.
“They fight like this at work?” Babe.
“Yes, all the time. Please come this side, the adult side.” Mr Moreetsi.
“Wow, congratulations General.” I roll my eyes.
“Chomy.” Kefentse, Mr Moreetsi’s daughter greets me.
“Thanks, see Chauke, you are safer with me.” Mr Moreetsi laughs.
“Don’t kill each other.” Babe.
Kefentse pulls me down the passage to her bedroom. She asks that I plait her for the party. I plait her 2 pompoms and tie pink ribbons on them, then I walk back to the dinning area.
“Dombolo, come we are this side.” Pheko. I roll my eyes but follow him, he takes my  hand and I don’t fight him, when I see a man staring at me. He opens the seat for me next to Babe, and he sits on my right. Mrs Moreetsi senior starts the lunch with a song and prayer, then we are served starters, music is playing lightly in the background.
“Don’t act crazy. Do you know that man? His been looking at you? Since we got here?” Pheko asks kissing my neck whispering.
“I don’t know him.” I smile then take a sip from my glass. We are asked to get up and dance the codesa. It is beautiful, I take my seat after the last song.
“Dombolo, may I have this dance?” Pheko. A beautiful song is playing, his singing to it.
“Can marry your daughter. And make her my wife, I want her to be the only girl that I love for the rest of my life. And give her the best of me ‘til the day that I die, yeah, I’m gonna marry your princess And make her my queen. She’ll be the most beautiful bride that I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to smile. As she walks down the aisle. On the arm of her father, On the day that I marry your daughter.” A few couples are on the floor dancing as well. The song ends.
“Thank you for the dance, you look beautiful by the way. I love your skirt.” Pheko says leading me to my chair.
I am wearing a Xitsonga traditional white maxi skirt with pink and green flowers on the bottom, it has a slit up to my thigh, the skirt has pleats with a pink top, a matching doek covering half my hair with pink beaded sneakers. The theme is traditional.
“Thank you.”
“I hope you don’t mean the words of the song.” Babe. Pheko laughs and drinks his alcohol.
“Whose that guy in the navy traditional attire? He sounds familiar, I can’t put my head to it.” I ask Babe.
“I don’t know. I will ask Moreetsi.”Babe. He stands up and I am left with Pheko and their cousins talking about soccer.
“You still okay?” Pheko whispers. I nod my head. Gomo and Kefentse sit on Pheko’s lap, whispering.
“Fefe, who did your hair?” The cousin.
“Aunty Ntsumi.” She answers, the cousin touches her head. Saying she is beautiful.
“Please plait me, I have a wedding to attend next week.”
“I live in Woodmead, if you can come there, come with fibre, Friday after 4pm.”The cousin, Amantle I think is her name, makes a hair appointment. We exchange numbers, a few people start leaving. Babe and I leave the party at 8pm. Pheko and his people try convincing me to stay but I refuse. I take a bath before bed and sleep immediately.