Lose My Breath

Miso’s interview is this morning, Pheko is taking him. We are using different cars as we said he won’t be coming to the office. I arrive in time for the morning meeting. Bhuti Morris informs us that our tours are back. I am scared yet excited about travelling again. The meeting is adjourned at 10am. I check my phone for messages then make tea calling Pheko back. “Hey. Sorry I missed your call.”
“It is okay, I forgot you had panel. S’miso did well in his interview and he is now doing the medical test.” Pheko.
“Wow, that is nice. Did they explain what it means?”
“Yes, once the medicals are done. They will be called in next month for a 3 months training.” Pheko.
“Is it like private security?”
“Yes, just like Ntate Gumede.” Pheko further explains. We talk for a few more minutes then I hang up because my patient has arrived.
“Good morning.” I greet her. My sessions with this particular patient are always emotionally draining. She is opening up and her past is a pit of ‘Yho’s’ we are done in an hour. I write my notes and have lunch because my 12pm cancelled. 
“Captain Moreetsi.” I answer the landlines, Pheko laughs.
“I hate that phone, I can’t even stalk my stock in peace.” Pheko.
“Wow,are you done?”
“Yes, we are headed home. What time are you leaving?” Pheko.
“Half past three.”
“Okay, I will see you at home.” We hang up. 3 more patients arrive and I see them. I drive to the hospital where Babe works. I am told to wait a bit as he has a patient.
“Ntsumi yamino.”Babe.
“Hey Babe, you lost weight. Are you okay?” I frown. This is not the big man I left at home 2 weeks ago. He leads me to his office.
“How are you? Is Moreetsi’s treating you well?” Babe tries to change the subject.
“Babe, if you were sick. Would you let me know?” he fiddles with papers in his desk, avoiding my eyes.
“I heard your brother is here, please come with him on Friday for nice braai.” Babe.
“You are stressing me, I will bring them. I hope you know that, whatever it is that’s bothering you. I am here to fight with you and I love you Babe.” He gives me a tight hug then we leave the office. He walks me to my car and I drive out. Pheko calls me on my way.
“Pheko.”
“Hai, not even my love? are you okay? You are running a little. ”Pheko.
“Yes, I’m 5 minutes out.” We hang up, I find him waiting for me in the parking lot. He opens the door for me and gives me a peck and hug.
“How was your day?” Pheko.
“It was okay, I went to see Babe and he looks sick. He wants us all to come. How was your day?” I ask getting into the house. Miso is cooking on the stove, I greet him and go to the bedroom to freshen up. Pheko is on the bed waiting for me. He calls me to his lap and gives me a hug. I kiss him, he hesitantly kisses me back. I straddle him and push him to lie on his back. The kiss is slow, we dry hump in sync.
“Are you sure?” He asks pulling out of the kiss, I nod my head and help him take off his shorts, which are wet with my juices. We lay on our sides and he leads me on top of him. He slides in with a little difficulty. His hands on my bums guiding my humps as he thrusts underneath me. I try not to moan loudly, which proves to be difficult.
I explode on top of him and he follows shortly. He lays me on his chest. His breathing is uneven, his heart beats fast. “Are you okay?” he asks drawing circles and hearts on my back. I him my response.
“I’m going to lay you on the bed and fetch a towel for you.” I nod. The towel is wet and warm, he wipes me and I get dressed in a summer short dress. We find Miso dishing up with the tv volume high. I feel embarrassed.
“How was the interview?”
“It went well, I am going for firearm competence test, then there’s a training. I will hopefully be back for the birth of my baby.”Miso.
“Hopefully you will be back. I am happy for you. Do you plan on marrying her?”
“Even if I miss a month, this is all for her. I will take her mother and bring them this side. That’s the plan, she is a nurse, jobs are easier with her kidney nursing.” Miso.
“Nephropathy? That’s amazing. I can’t wait to meet her. Babe invited us to his house, we are sleeping over, if you don’t feel comfortable you can sleep here.”
“I would love that.” Pheko and I wash the dishes. Miso excuses himself after his phone rings. “Sisi, Okuhle would love to talk to you.” Miso calls out a few minutes later. I nod my head and take the phone.
“You are so beautiful, hello.” She greets.
“You are the gorgeous one.” She laughs.
“Thank you for all your help. I know you and your husband pulled strings for us. I appreciate it, I can’t wait to come visit you.” Okuhle. “It was God and his smartness. I also can’t wait to be an aunt. Please, I am not the father’s side.” We both crack up.
“So far, you are a good one. Thank you again.” Okuhle, I give Miso his phone back. At 10pm Pheko and I go to bed. He cuddles me, we are woken up by the alarm. The following day is uneventful, we drive the same car to and from work. We find dinner ready. This morning I wake up first, anxious about the dinner Babe wants us to attend. I dress up in jeans and a formal pink shirt then drive myself to work, I am planning to leave work early to help Babe prepare. Lunch time comes very fast. I drive to the shops to get drinks and snacks. Then I go pick up Miso at the house. We drive home, I am surprised to see Bab’Chauke’s car parked outside when I park. We enter the house using the back door, Khenis’ mom greets me with a hug, Nhlamu and her mom follow. Babe is still avoiding being alone with me. Everyone is here at 6pm. We all sit around the table and dish up for ourselves.
“Thank you all for coming. I am sorry Ntsumi that you are finding out like this, I thought being with your loved ones, will make the blows better. I know my brothers will continue to love and take care of you even when I am not around.” Babe, my heart skips a beat and I stop eating.
“Not around going where?” I frown.
“My father had Alzheimer’s and we lost him when I was 9. I unfortunately took the gene, I have been on treatments since you were in first year. It is not working anymore and things are getting worse. I was also diagnosed with cancer of the prostate hence my weight loss, we have been going for radiation and chemotherapy.” Babe.
“You are dying and won’t remember me?”