Chocolate

“u who, hw cud u, my mada rised u.” Sebenzile.
“Yeah and I paid her for all the meals she gave me, tell her to take back the money. Also text me in full, those short cuts irk me.”
“Hehe, na’ingulube, makwame ukukhulisi, manje usegoli uyabheda.”(Wonders shall never end, my mother raised you. Now you are in joburg you are being silly.) she replies.
“Nawe khulisa bakho.”(raise yours as well.)
“No wonda Malume washadza (got married) n ddnt tell u, he have ada kids bahle shem.”Sebe.
“Kulungile, angisho utalile, iNkosi itong pendzulela. (it’s fine, you have kids right, God will answer for me.)” I burst into tears, Pheko moves me from Gomo and another kid, we stand at the door. His leaning on the glass window and I am between his legs in a hug.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” Pheko. I show him the texts and he tells me to stop responding.
“She’s crazy this one telling me that her mother raised me, raised me while I worked for my plate. Nxa.” I’m worked up, it hurts when I remember that my father got married and forgot about me. My aunt and Sebe went to the wedding and came with left over food.
“We will talk at home, I’m sorry you are upset.” Pheko.
“What if Jabulani and his sister planned my kidnap?”I say my thoughts out loud, Pheko looks and me and says no. We walk back inside and I take pictures with Gomo and a few of Pheko and him. After a few games we drive home, I’m still upset. Pheko opens the door for me and unlocks the house. Gomo runs to his bedroom, I find myself walking to his bedroom.
“Hey, do you need help?”
“No mama, I’m a big boy.” Gomo. I walk out and go to the lounge, I switch off the lights and stay in the dark with my eyes closed.
“Come to bed.” Pheko startles me. I check the time on my phone and it’s midnight.
“I will be with you shortly.”He takes my hand and helps me up. I was hoping he would sleep and let me be. I take off my shoes and jeans, then bra and get into bed in my vest.
“Do you want to talk about the elephants?”
“Nope. I would like us to go to the Magic company tomorrow.”
“Okay, good night.” He pulls me to him and my body stiffens but relaxes when he does not do anything else.
“Wait don’t knock yet.”
Pheko*giggles*“Shhh.” Gomo.
“Okay. You can knock.” Pheko. I pretend to be sleeping when the door opens.
“Good morning mama.” Gomo and Pheko.
“Morning birthday boy ka Ncane.”
Pheko and Gomo leave the bedroom after I eat. I take a bath and put on pink tracksuits and black Sneakers. I find Pheko alone listening to music. “How are you feeling this morning?”
“I’m okay, let’s celebrate Gomo and the rest we will tackle next week.”
“Okay, did you take out clothes for me?”Pheko. I shake my head no.
“What will I wear?”Pheko asks, I roll my eyes. He gets up and takes my hand, we get to the bedroom and he undresses, I quickly get up from the bed and search for his tracksuits and socks. I leave the room and post a picture in my wedding attire standing with Sesi, Nhlamulo and Khensani. Captioned “years later, he still chooses me. #Tsongaprincess wedsMoTswana.”Minne comments : “Mama moshimane.” I go through her profile and realize she has another son. I ask Pheko to call her.
“Papa Momo.” She answers.
“Sisi, it’s me. How are you?”
“I’m great thanks, I haven’t forgotten to call.” Minne.
“That is not why I am calling,  I wanted to ask that you get bhuti ready, we are coming to fetch him.”
“Bhuti? You mean Thato?” she asks confused, Pheko is also staring at me.
“Yes, we will pick him up. I’m upset with you though. Please get him ready in jeans and a black top.”
“What did I do?” She asks, I tell her we will speak later. Mr Moreetsi drops Fefe, we drive the double cab. Pheko puts in the sponge at the back, Gomo and Fefe are sitting at the back. We arrive in Morningside Manor and call Minne. She comes out with her son he looks a year if not two years older than Gomo. I get out of the car, the kids at the back make noise, excited. “Hello bhuti, are you sitting at the back or in front?”
“Hello mama Ntsumi, Back please.” Thato. I open the back for him. And walk to Minne. “You didn’t say you had a son literally Gomo’s age. He must think I’m a horrible person.”
“No, sisi the boys know that Momo visits his dad and Thato comes sometimes.” Minne.
“We need to change that. May we have his pyjamas and clothes for tomorrow.” She smiles and leads me inside the apartment, I walk out with a jacket and Thato’s bag. We greet and drive off to Magic company. We get Magic Company. Gomo gives me a hug as we stand in a queue to pay and get arm bands. Pheko insists on paying. We sit on the chairs while the kids play. “You have a good heart. I do take Thato sometimes, I didn’t think you would agree this weekend.” Pheko.
“It’s his birthday, he must be with his loved ones.” He pecks my forehead. It’s not like I will be here forever. Eventually I will move out and he will go back to taking all the kids.
“Mama please come play, it’s girls against the boys.” Gomo. I get up, Pheko follows me to the bowling alley and sits near us. The girls win the game, we order lunch before another round of games and go carting. Pheko and I leave the kids and go to the mall upstairs, he is huge on pda and I am not sure how I feel. He pulls me to the chocolate boutique and buys me a few slabs and a half a bag of balls. “You know I would never spend R300 on chocolates, yes they are my favourite but nah.”
“I’m trying to charm you.” Pheko pecks my lips, we are standing in a queue to pay.
“We need to discuss how we will split the house expenses.”
“We will talk at home.” Pheko. We pay and leave the store. He buys Gomo and Thato sneakers then we get chocolate cake and snacks. I go the kids and Pheko goes to put the things in the car.
At 6pm we get food from that restaurant that sings on your birthday. I don’t know why kids love this place. I drive us home after I settle the bill, Pheko is upset. Arriving at the house Pheko sets up the sponges in the dinning room for the boys. Fefe will sleep in Gomo’s room. He sits on the couch and I go to the bedroom. I respond to my texts and go on socials after bathing and dressing in my sleepwear.
“Can we talk?” Pheko asks an hour after I settled in the bed.
“Yes.” I put my phone down and sit up.