a new day

Two months later:

It's almost winter now… The big kids have been getting more meat as the days go by so we can have food to eat. Because it's very hard for fruits and veggies to grow in the cold of winter.

Papa and the other big kids have made us warm clothes from the hides of the animals. I still don't know what that is, but Papa said he'd tell us when we were older. I got ready with the others like I have been. And put on my new jacket that fit me, it was also made from anime hide, as the one I had in my backpack when I was left in the forest was too small for me now. We use it to hold our seeds for spring so we can plant them.

I went outside and saw Papa and Mimi. They were talking. I went over and held Papa's jacket. He looked down and saw me. "Hey Izuku, are you doing ok?" Papa asked, I nodded and responded "yes Papa, I just saw you talking to Mimi and wanted to know what you were talking about. " The teens both nodded at what I said. Mimi looked from Papa to me and said "we were talking about teaching you little ones to fight and other things, so you can help keep ourselves safe" I looked at Papa confused, he clarified "Mimi and I think we should teach you, my little ones, to be able to protect yourselves and each other."

That helped me understand it more. "Oh, so you can teach us new things about plants and things, because you know more about that, and Mimi can teach us how to protect?" Papa nodded."Yes, that's right, " he then put a hand on my head and ruffled it, saying,"Good job, my little one." That made me happy, so I smiled at them.

I went back to the others, Vivi was still with her siblings, but she was talking to the big kids, and I saw Mimi teaching her some moves. "Hi Vivi, how are you?" I asked walking up to her, she looked at me and smiled saying "hello Izuku, I'm good, making sure no one hurts themselves while playing" I look over and see kio play wrestling with Rin. koi is playing tag with Yima, Yama, and Akumu. The others seemed to be playing hide and seek. Vivi looked at me again and asked, "Why don't you go and play Izuku?" I thought about it for a bit and nodded my head, it's been a bit since I actually played "ok, Vivi" I said and went to join koi, Yima, Yama and Akumu playing tag.

There wasn't really any fruit or veggies this late in the fall, so we little kids had more time to play. We had plenty of saved fruits and veggies for now anyway. The hunters went out to get some more meat to make sure we had enough meat for the winter, so we don't go hungry. Papa came over and watched all of us play for a bit before getting our attention and asking us to sit in front of him, we all did and he waited for us all to settle down and get comfy. He took a breath before saying "ok little ones, I have a question, ok?" We nod in understanding "ok so you all know Mimi and the other lookouts know how to fight to keep us safe, right?" We nod again. "Me and her have talked, and we think it'd be a good idea to teach you little ones to fight." That shocked the others because he explained this to me earlier today when I asked.

Milo raised his hand, and Papa nodded to him, showing he could speak. "Papa, how would that work?" Milo asked. Papa's response was, "I will teach you about the plants, and how to know what things are safe and what is not. While Mimi will teach you how to defend yourselves and protect each other. And the hunters will take turns teaching you how to track things, how to hide in plain sight, and how to use weapons. " Papa looked around before asking,"Does that make sense, Milo?" Milo nodded, "how about the rest of you? Does that make sense?" We all nodded.

Soon, the hunters came back, with twice what they usually did, which is good because it helps make sure we have food here. Mimi and her group also got back. They were a bit behind the hunters. Vivi helped the big kids cook while Papa played with us, making sure we had fun, but also to make sure we didn't hurt ourselves. We played red light, tag, hide, and seek,and even raced. It was fun.

Mimi soon came over and told us that food was ready, so we went and got our share of the food, and put what was left where it would be safe. Then, us little kids got ready for bed. The forts were basically done at this point. As we went to bed, the night look-out, the people that had trouble sleeping at night went out for their turn. I told them goodbye while waving, and they waved back and left. I went to my fort that I shared with Jenashi or Jen as I've started calling her.

Jen was going to bed already, but I didn't go to bed quite yet. I grabbed my notebook and pencil and sharpener and wrote a tally for today like I have been. Papa's birthday passed a few days ago. He is now 13. I wrote down key things in another one, I didn't keep things on heroes anymore, just what might be important to us and how many of us there are.

And like usual, I heard Papa start to sing, "Sleep my little ones, soon you will learn more. Soon you will know. Sleep, my little ones, for we will keep you safe as you rest. Sleep, my little ones, for you will soon understand the place we live."