the snow in the day

A few weeks later.

It was snowing, I was very thankful for the animal hyde we had, it helped keep us warm in the snow, while yes our feet didn't have the best protection, and got cold, it was fine.

I was up before the sun as I started to do, got out of my nest, and did some stretching. It helped me wake up more. I soon finished stretching and got ready for the cold.

I stepped outside and looked at the snow. It has been snowing for a few days now. I have been trying to get better at hiding my tracks. I went to the river and got a drink. It was cold, but we were getting used to it. Though we are thankful we saved a lot of meat and other things.

As I was getting a drink, I listened for the night patrol to get back. They were the best at hiding their tracks. I wanted to ask for tips on how to get better. I listened to the sound of the wind, the water. And listened harder, trying to 'hear' my surroundings.

After a bit, I could hear someone coming up to me. It wasn't hesitant, so it was not a stranger, and if I had to guess, it was one of the younger ones here. "Hey, Rin." I day, not looking behind me, and listening for a response, and I got one."How'd you know it was me?" I turned to them."It was a guess." I looked in thought, then nodded, "fair."

We talked for a bit as he also got a drink. When he was done, we walked back to where the others most likely were. I saw Papa, Mimi, and Ashi, so I waved and said hello to them. "Hello to you, Izuku.", "Hey Izuku," "Hello, little one." I know I was still 4, but I was learning a lot faster here.

We ate breakfast and got right into lessons. Papa was trying to have us remember faster as time passed, and Mimi was helping us with new moves or helping to improve on the ones we knew. And the hunters were in charge of helping us learn to hide our tracks and to make as little noise as we could.

We are getting better, but we still need to keep practicing, or we won't get any better. So we keep pushing ourselves to get better, faster, and stronger.

Soon enough, it was lunch time, we didn't eat too much as we needed to save the meat, but we still had a healthy amount of food to eat. We helped clean and went to play as the 'adults' talked about things. We played 'hide n' seek' to try and get better at hiding where we went. It was hard with the snow, but we kept trying. We played until we got bored and just went to practice our moves until it was time to train with Mimi in a bit.

When it was time for Mimi to teach us, we spared. Mainly practicing punches, and how to block them, or duck under so the hit didn't land on us. I was with koi, she was trying to land a hit while I was trying to block and dodge them. It was fun, and we took turns after a while we would switch. She did get a few hits, same with me.

We got a rest hour, so we all rested, well, except for the patrol and some hunters. They kept an eye out, one for others like us and to make sure the quirked don't find us. And the hunters that still had energy went to hunt what they could.

We were by the river to get a drink, and it was nice not being scared that we would get hurt. Papa explained as best as he could, what happened to a lot of quirkless, that made us little kids want to make sure they never find us. And as much as I loved heroes, I'd rather stay alive, then be near the quirked again.

Ashis' group was in charge of us this time. We weren't hunting, mainly because a lot of us weren't old enough yet. But we were trying to find something that stayed in the trees. Our task was to try and locate it without starting it.

I liked the snow, but I was excited for spring to come, mainly because then we got to go back into the forest for fruits, veggies, and herbs. The snow was pretty and helped us try and hide our tracks, but we still got cold. I wanted the warm sun to come back and more daytime so we could play more.

It was now dinner time, and we had what we usually had. It was good, and Mimi was the one to tell the story this time as we ate, Papa was getting a drink of water from the river.

We finish our food and the story Mimi tells us. It was about a mermaid that wanted to explore but hid from the others, but helped in every way they could. We put things up and I went to get a drink of water as all our lessons are done for the day, the other kids drank some water too, and we started to play some games to get rid of some energy before we went to sleep.

After a bit, Jen and I went to our fort, and I let her get ready first before I went in and got ready myself. I laid in my nest, and I waited for Papa to start singing like always. I covered myself up to keep warm from the cold and listened to the sounds of nature as I wanted Papa to start singing his lullaby.

I waited for just a bit longer, and then I heard him start to hum a tune while walking around. Then I heard him start his lullaby. I fell asleep listening to him sing the lullaby.

"Sleep my little ones, the cold is here… but the warm sun will come again… Sleep my little ones, as the night grows… Sleep my little ones for you will survive the days that come… Sleep my little ones… for you now know the truth…"