a big storm

Izuku's POV: Two weeks later:

I woke up early (well earlier than I usually wake up) and got ready for the day. The sun had yet to rise, but that's okay; I can see just fine. Mr. Eraserhead says that the city is always lit at night in different ways, so compared to the people living there, we can see in the dark a lot better than them, especially the Night people in The Valley as they are always in the dark. But today was darker than normal; the moon was usually out still, the moonless night already passed, so the moon should be out.

I looked up, and the moon and sky were blocked by clouds, not just the clouds that we can see in the day, no, these looked like storm clouds forming, dark in color and gathering. 'I need to tell Papa; he should be awake soon,' I thought and got a drink before going to where Papa's home is. I knocked on his door, and he opened it.

"Izuku? What are you doing up this early? Do you need something?" He asked when he saw it was me.

"I wake up this early sometimes; the night group was already back in their homes when I woke up. The sun is coming up soon, but I think there is a storm coming," I said, pointing at the clouds forming in the sky.

He looked up. "Yep, we are gonna have a storm, a big one considering how dark those clouds are, but it shouldn't start until after breakfast, enough time to get prepared for it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention," he said, patting my head, and went back in to get ready for the day.

I walked back to the river, cleaned my hair as best as I could, and went to punch trees and practice my punches for a bit. After a while, the other day people started to wake up, and Papa came and called for us to gather, and for some to go get the Night people as they needed to hear. After a few minutes, we were all surrounding Papa. I knew what he was going to say, so I looked around as he told them about the big storm getting ready to happen. Of course, this isn't the first storm we've had, so our homes were by the trees for extra shelter, and the builders, along with Idori, built a 'roof' over our homes in the tree to make sure even less water got to us. But they also made platforms with spare nests in them just in case we needed to go into the trees.

We all moved things that might get damaged from the rain to the platforms and got everything set up ready for it to come. I liked the rain; it was very calming, and it helped us water the fields! I was by Akumu and Milo sitting by the edge of the platforms watching the rain fall; we were right; it was a big storm.

————–—–

Aizawa's POV:

School was canceled today because of this big storm, and we couldn't go to The Valley in it either. 'I hope the kids are safe in this storm,' I thought to myself as I watched the rain on my window from Zashi and my house. I shook off the worry and went back to grading my classes' homework (not the kids in The Valley; they still have until I go for the next visit to get them done).

I sighed again as I finished with that and was reminded by my husband to actually eat something, not just my jelly pouches. So I got up and made us food (thank Kami Zashi helped me learn to cook), and we ate while talking about what we would do next time we went to visit The Valley (both teaching-wise and non-teaching-wise). 'The kids call where they sleep 'nests'; we might have to remind them that the term is 'beds,' but they seem fine with calling them nests,' I thought before remembering what the 'nest' looked like. They looked like actual bird nests, so they aren't exactly wrong.

"Shou, you there?" my husband asked me. I got lost in my mind; oops.

"Yeah, I was just thinking of something regarding the kids," I told him before going back to my food.

"What were you thinking? Can I know?" He asked, having already finished his food.

"I was thinking how they call where they sleep 'nests' and thinking if we should correct them that it's 'beds,' before I remembered that they sleep in literal nests so they aren't wrong," I explained to him honestly.

"They sleep in nests?" He asked, slightly shocked.

"Yeah, have you not seen them? I think I only know because Shio explained when he saw I was confused when Izuku called them 'nests,'" I said before continuing. "He made sure Izuku went back to training before he explained it to me and even showed me what they look like. Human-sized bird nests with safe ferns, leaves, and grass to add padding and to keep them warm as they sleep." I finished my explanation.

"I have not seen them. Idori did tell me that they were working on 'platforms to keep things that can be damaged by water a safe distance above the ground, and a place for us to sleep if need be, with a roof over it' in their words," Zashi said as we cleaned up. We both hoped that all the children were safe and keeping dry; we don't want any of them to catch a cold and fall sick.

"We should take them some medicine for Vivi to keep, seeing as she is their 'healer,' and we can give her more things to help keep them healthy," I said, mostly talking to myself, as I sat on our couch, our cats coming over to sit on me and him as he sat beside me.

"That would be a great idea, Shou! And give them more books on what they are doing, like for the 'gatherers' some books on different plants and herbs, and the 'hunters' books on animals, day ones for the 'day hunters' and night animals for the 'night hunters,' and some books on building things for the 'builders,' and some books on fighting and martial arts for the 'day patrol' and 'night patrol' so they can get better!" Zashi said excitedly while putting a note on his phone for when the rain stopped so we could go buy those books.

"Let's write down on a piece of paper and our phones what books to get," I said, grabbing paper as he opened a new note on his phone ready to write down what we need, and we got to work talking about what book goes to what groups and adding some books so they can read for fun. And even some English learning books that they can read if they want to.