Chapter 171-172

Chapter 171 Consort Selection at the Palace Banquet

Under the sunshine, the magnificent palace with its tall, cinnabar-colored buildings exuded not only a golden glow but also the divine aura of the noble royal family.

The Empress Dowager’s Palace of Benevolent Peace was filled with guests, all scattered across its courtyard. It was one of the central palaces of the Imperial Palace, second only to the dwelling of the Emperor and the Empress.

Many young ladies from esteemed families were here, dressed to the nines. They were bashful and graceful. Though they were admiring the view, it would be more accurate to say that they were the view instead.

That was factually true. It wasn’t explicit, but the young ladies who entered the palace knew that they had joined the selection of official consorts and concubines for the princes. Thus, all of them were red in the cheeks.

Earlier, some of them had already spotted Prince Yue and Prince Zhou. Both princes were extraordinarily handsome. If they could marry any of the two, not only would they be promised a life of glory and splendor, but also the chance of attaining the noblest of statuses among women. This excited them immensely and made their every gesture become all that more bashful.

Everyone knew their true purpose in coming here today and yet they had to feign ignorance out of fear that the princes wouldn’t take a liking to them.

Chu Liuchen looked up lazily as he leaned against the chair. He said weakly, “Grandmother, I don’t like them.” A leopard cat with snow-white fur rested on his knees. Its seductive blue eyes, with its vertical slits for pupils, lent it a mysterious beauty. It lay languidly in his embrace.

The Empress Dowager, who was over sixty years old, was seated next to him. She caressed her grandson’s forehead and said kindly, “We have so many young ladies from esteemed families here; they’re the noblest ladies in the capital. What displeases you?”

They were seated in a high building in the Palace of Benevolent Peace. Veiled curtains were hung outside the balcony, pulling double duty in blocking the wind and letting the sunshine in. Moreover, it didn’t obstruct the view. It was a good observation spot.

The building wasn’t far off the ground, allowing them a good view of what was happening below. They could even clearly see the faces of the ladies. Empress Dowager was pleased with several incredible beauties that she spotted.

“Imperial Grandmother, my body… who’d be willing to marry me?” Chu Liuchen smiled wryly. He opened his eyes, revealing a beautiful pair of pupils that resembled a galaxy of stars. His harmlessness and frailness immediately softened Empress Dowager’s heart. She wanted nothing more than to give him all the best things in life. This child was one born with a hard fate, she thought.

“Nonsense. You’re my grandson; naturally, you’re both noble and dignified. How can you say no one would be willing to marry you? Not only would you be married, but you’d also marry the best. If someone dares to look down on you, I’ll send someone to deal with her!” Empress Dowager said, deliberately putting on the face of a tigress.

“Imperial Grandmother, she’ll just be a widow if she marries me. Let’s leave these ladies alone.” Chu Liuchen lowered his head with a visibly downcast look. The corners of his thin, pale lips curved to form a wry smile.

This time, the Empress Dowager was truly furious. Her brows knitted tightly as she said coldly, “Hogwash! Who told you that? My dear grandson will live for a hundred years!”

“Imperial Grandmother, do you believe in your own words?” Chu Liuchen forced a smile. The young man who looked as handsome as a pretty boy who had stepped out of a painting carried a gloomy frailness and yet he would invariably draw the affection of others. In particular, his star-like pupils looked so limpid that there didn’t seem to be even a speck of impurity in it.

Medical PrincessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara