Chapter 46 The Two Maids Who Came Before And After

“What is it in your hand, Qing Cui?” Qin Wanru inquired, putting down the book in her hands.

Qing Cui, who was taken aback and said in a hurried tone, “Second Miss Qin, it’s important to find out whose letter that is, did not take in Qin Wanru! I found this letter on the floor, is it yours? I saw you writing a letter earlier on.”

“I did not ask anyone to go to the kitchen to get me snacks, did I?” Qin Wanru said to Qing Yue, ignoring Qin Cui.

“Second Miss Qin usually does not eat any snacks after lunch. This is Second Miss Qin’s nap time,” Qing Yue lifter her head to look straight at Qing Cui and asked with a severe tone, “Qing Cui, you are the personal maid the Elder Miss Qin, aren’t you familiar with your mistress’s daily routine? Did you go to the kitchen to fetch a snack or did you make a special trip to get the letter?”

“What do you mean by this, Qing Yue? Are you saying I’ve made a special trip to the kitchen to get myself some snack?” Qing Cui asked Qing Yue furiously and started blushing.

”I’m not sure if you are eyeing on the snacks, but I’m sure Miss Qin did not ask for snacks!” responded Qing Yue in an unhurried manner.

“I’m just afraid that Miss Qin would be hungry, so I made a special trip to the kitchen. That’s when I realized that there were freshly baked cakes, so I specially brought some for Miss Qin. As a personal maid, shouldn’t I be concerned about this?” Qin Yue explained, stammering a little as she rolled her eyes.

“Being concerned about what I missed? Does it apply to this letter which you pick up too?” Qin Wanru answered impassively and continued, “Ever since you returned, I’ve never asked you to enter my room. How did you see me write a letter?”

“Miss Qin, there’re no other masters staying around here. Whose letter would this be if it’s not yours, Miss Qin?” Qing Cui persisted with gritted teeth, wanting to complete what Mrs. Qin had entrusted her, although she was starting to panic a little.

“No other masters? How can you be so sure I was the one who wrote the letter? If someone were to be found dead now, will you say I am the one who killed him?” Qin Wanru snorted and she cast a cold look at Qing Cui. She continued, “What a cunning maid, are you thinking of making me a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong?”

“Miss Qin, I…” Qing Cui was shocked as she had never met such a sharp Qin Wanru. The hateful look in Qin Wanru’s eyes was making Qing Cui very nervous. She tried to avert her gaze as Qin Wanru’s look was like a sharp knife, cutting through to what she was thinking. They were not the usual innocent eyes of Second Miss Qin.

“Kneel!’ cried Qing Yue as she threw a kick on Qing Cui’s leg. Qing Cui took two quick steps forward and fell forward into a kneeling position.

“How dare you kick me, Qing Yue!” cried Qing Cui, who was not fuming. She widened her eyes and reached out to Qing Yue, willing to pull herself up.

Although both Qing Cui and Qing Yue were personal maids of Second Miss Qin, Qing Cui had always been held with higher esteem. When Nanny Fang was the overall in-charge of the maids, Qing Cui had always been the more valued one by Nanny Fang.

“Why shouldn’t I kick you? You have anyhow taken a letter and use it to frame Miss Qin!” said Qing Yue as she leaped behind Qing Cui nimbly and gave her a hard kick so much so Qing Cui, who had just managed to pull herself up, was forced to kneel down again.

This time, her knees landed on the floor even harder than the first so much so that there was a loud thud when her knees touched the floor and the pain made Qing Cui cried out in agony.