PROLOGUE

"I figured you would be here," Penelope said as she entered the Undercroft.

"How was it?" Sebastian asked, sat down to play wizarding chess against himself.

The House Cup feast had just ended after Professor Weasley awarded Slytherin a hundred house points to reward her for everything she had done that year. The other Slytherins were so ecstatic they wanted to throw a party in the common room to celebrate, but the prefects put that idea to bed as soon as they got wind of it.

Penelope didn't mind. In fact, had a party actually been thrown, she likely still would have gone down to the Undercroft to see Sebastian. All the students would start leaving Hogwarts for the holidays the next day at dawn. That meant that this was possibly the last time she and Sebastian would speak for a few months at least. And at the moment, she was his only friend.

"We won. You should have come." Penelope answered as she dragged a chair to the chessboard with one swift move of her wand. "It was quite fun."

"I'm sure it was. I just feel odd acting like a normal student after what I did," he admitted.

People didn't know about what had truly gone down in the catacombs. The only other person who knew in the castle besides Sebastian was Ominis. He didn't speak to Sebastian anymore. Everyone else believed Anne's version of events, which was that her uncle Solomon suddenly passed away in his sleep one night. She disappeared, but not without leaving a note, according to Sebastian.

"How do you do it?" he asked her suddenly.

"How do I do what?" she repeated, confused at the question.

"How do you handle all these feelings? Your newfound fame? Especially after your battle with Ranrok..."

Penelope's hand instinctively went to her right cheek. Her scar, though unsightly, wasn't painful anymore. She had even started pulling her hair back again after using it to conceal the scar for weeks. But something about Sebastian acknowledging its origin made her feel vulnerable.

"I try to take it one day at a time. To give myself time to breathe. I don't even know what I'm feeling most of the time."

Perhaps it was anger. She had betrayed Professor Fig's trust. And the Keepers. But she knew she could do more with her power than Isidora had. If she used it right it would all be worth it. If she was the final repository... If it died with her... She just wished she could have explained her plans to Fig before he passed. The fact that he died believing that she had chosen to do the wrong thing purposefully was more painful than she could articulate.

"I don't think people would like me as much if they knew everything..." she finally added after a moment of silence.

"You did the right thing," Sebastian assured her.

"Only time will tell..."

Penelope went back to playing. He was the only one who knew she had opened the repository. She wanted to tell him he did the right thing too, because that was what she truly believed. But it was still too fresh to talk about it in that manner. If only Solomon had tried to help Sebastian, she thought.

"Do you think the professors will watch you more closely now? In case you have another "lapse in judgment"?"

"That would be reasonable. Seems I've made a number of controversial decisions this year."

"You did save my life after all," said Sebastian.

"Well, someone once told me other people's fates are not up for you to decide."

She had sided with him every step of the way, even in front of his uncle. She truly believed he was in the right. She couldn't let Anne and Ominis turn Sebastian in. Yes, he had taught her the unforgivable curses, but she had chosen to use them, only for valid reasons, or at least what she saw as valid reasons. She would be a hypocrite to condemn him for the same thing.

People said he was a bad influence, but she liked her new self. It had been so exciting fighting dark wizards, goblins, and trolls by his side this year. She had never felt more alive. Penelope had truly become addicted to the feeling of being in danger and fighting for her life. Even more so when she was doing it with him. There was a stark difference between who she was when she left Beauxbatons, and the person she had become.

They hadn't had much time for adventures lately though. The O.W.Ls had kept them busy and away from each other. Perhaps it was for the best though, as they both passed with high grades. They had both gotten an O on their Defense against the Dark Arts exam, of course. Penelope was impressed that Sebastian got such stellar grades despite everything. They kept playing chess in silence until Sebastian won like he always did. Then he decided it was time to start walking back to the common room.

"Are you doing anything this summer?" Sebastian asked lightly.

"My mother and I might go to France. It will help her, hopefully. What about you?"

Penelope knew that after seeing Isidora's memories, she should know better than to try to take away pain. But Isidora didn't understand her power like Penelope did. Perhaps she could help her mother. Perhaps she could even help Anne if she ever came around to forgiving Sebastian.

"I'm going back to Feldcroft tomorrow. Ominis usually stays with us when he's not at Hogwarts, but this year... I can't believe I'll spend my summer in an empty house."

He mumbled the end of his sentence but Penelope heard it clearly enough. She could have gone and stayed with him, in another reality where the situation had gone differently. But unfortunately, her grandmother had gotten word of their antics this year and she absolutely hated him. No way would she ever let them spend any more time together than what was necessary. She had even considered sending Penelope back to Beauxbatons to keep her away from him.

The truth was, she would have given everything not to go home to her grandmother's house. She hated London, she hated the house, she hated how bored she felt there. She disliked spending time with her grandmother, but her mother was far worse. It felt like she wasn't even there. Ever since her father had gone missing she had completely shut down, leaving Penelope to deal with the tragedy by herself. She loved them, but she hated them too. Perhaps that was how Sebastian had felt towards his uncle.

"You can send me letters. I promise I'll answer, although I'll have to be sneaky around my grandmother."

"Please do," he said, his serious expression betrayed by his pleading tone.

They entered the common room.

"When are you going home?"

"Tomorrow as well," Penelope answered.

"Well. Have a safe journey home, and enjoy France. Good night."

"Good night."

He started walking away toward the boy's dormitories but Penelope added :

"Take care."

Sebastian smiled and then disappeared into the corridor.