Chapter 17 : Usual tricks

As Penelope sat at the Slytherin table during breakfast, a tawny owl swooped down, delivering a letter sealed with the unmistakable insignia of the House of Greengrass. Hesitant, she opened it, fully expecting the anger that typically accompanied her grandmother's disapproval. Instead, the words were composed, but her discontent was palpable.

"Penelope,

I have received very disturbing news of your recent escapade in the Forbidden Forest. Such recklessness is unbecoming of a witch of your lineage. We shall discuss this matter in person upon your return this summer. Your mother is dismayed by your behavior. Rest assured, your actions do not go unnoticed and will not be without consequence.

Sincerely, Grandmother"

Penelope crumpled the letter slightly in her grip, but sighed in relief, grateful that it wasn't a howler. As daunting as the prospect of facing her grandmother's disappointment was, at least the entire castle wouldn't be privy to it. With a heavy heart, she tucked the letter away.

"Is that from your grandmother?" Sebastian guessed.

"Yes. I'm afraid she's not too happy with me."

"Why would she? You're a repeat offender," Ominis pointed out.

Penelope shot him a look. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ominis."

They finished their breakfast in silence, and Penelope decided to go back to her room before class to fetch her textbook. As she rounded a corner, she unexpectedly collided with Garreth Weasley. They both stumbled back a step, caught off guard.

"Sorry about that," Garreth said, flashing a charming smile.

"It's fine," Penelope replied, adjusting her bag on her shoulder. "Gryffindors don't usually venture down here. What are you doing here?"

Garreth scratched the back of his head, a hint of nervousness in his expression. "Well, I was actually looking for you. I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Yule Ball with me."

Caught off guard by Garreth's invitation, Penelope hesitated, contemplating how to decline politely. He was undeniably handsome, with his charming smile and well-groomed hair, not to mention she knew him to be a good sport. If it hadn't been for Sebastian, she might have considered saying yes.

"I'm sorry, I'm not going," she stammered, her words coming out more awkwardly than she intended.

Garreth's smile faltered, and a moment of discomfort hung between them. "Really? You're not going?"

"I'm not, sorry. I've got a lot going on, and the last thing I need is a dance," Penelope explained nervously.

"You don't have to lie, you can tell me you're going with someone else."

"I'm not!" she exclaimed, more defensively than she had intended.

Garreth smirked. "Oh, is that so? You're telling me Sallow hasn't asked you?"

"He's my friend."

"Sure he is. Well, that's fine. I'll see you later!"

As Garreth walked away, she couldn't shake off the awkwardness that lingered within her. Why would he ask her? There were far fairer girls in the castle. Adèle, for instance, had received numerous invitations but declined them all. She, too, must have been waiting for someone specific to make up his mind.

After her Ancient Runes class, Penelope gathered her books and made her way out of the classroom. The ambient chatter of students discussing the upcoming Yule Ball filled the air. As she reached the corridor, Leander Prewett intercepted her, waiting right outside the door.