Chapter 13 - To Lie Down With You

Noah:

 Her crying had stopped a couple of minutes ago, but she still hadn't said a word, or moved from my lap. And the truth was, I didn't want her to. The cold breeze whipped by us, making me pull her in closer. She didn't protest, she just buried her face in my shoulder. I stroked her back, feeling her tears soaking through my t-shirt. Resting my head on the top of hers, I looked out over the city.

But sitting there on the roof with Lily, it felt like we were on our own completely. As I closed my eyes and continued to rub her back, Lily's breathing started to soften. She was falling asleep. Smiling, I hugged her close, wanting her to know that she was safe. But after a couple of minutes, the chill picked up and I could feel her shivering against me.

 So reluctantly, I placed my arms under her and gently lifted her to the couch. She moaned softly, and curled up, trying to shield herself from the cold. I didn't want to wake her, so it looked as if I would have to carry her down. Scratching my head, I stared down at the guitar on the floor and realized I couldn't carry them both. The guitar would have to stay up on the roof for now.

 I bent down and picked up the guitar by the handle, trying not to wake Lily. Stepping over to the far side of the couch, I saw that there was a space between the side of it and the corner wall so I placed the guitar there for now. I walked back over to Lily and saw her in the same position, still fast asleep on the couch.

 The wind was whipping her hair up since she was lying on her side. Her eyelids were fluttering. She must have been dreaming about something, and I hoped with everything I had that she wasn't dreaming about something bad. Sighing, I bent down and gently slipped my arms under her waist and legs. She made a soft sound, but didn't wake up. I lifted her off the sofa slowly, bringing her close to my chest.

 "Come on gorgeous," I whispered.

 And I smiled softly when she wrapped her arms around my neck, burying her face in my shoulder once more. But I realized there was no way I could open the door holding her like this, so I shifted slightly, causing Lily to wrap her legs around my hips. I could feel her body heat against me, and I pulled her to me even closer, savouring the feel of her body against mine.

 With one last glance at the guitar poking up behind the sofa, I walked over to the roof door and gingerly reached for the handle, trying to not to drop Lily in the process. Managing to pull it open, I walked through and let it shut behind me. It made a slight bang, but Lily didn't wake up. She must have been completely absorbed in her dream world. And I didn't want to think about what she was dreaming, because whatever it was, it was causing her to squeeze me tightly, like she was afraid of something.

 "It's okay honey," I murmured gently, stroking her back through her shirt. "It's okay..."

 As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I rounded the corner and came to our apartments. I stood there for a minute, knowing I should take her back to her own place, but I just couldn't do it. Lily belonged to me tonight. So, turning my back on Lily's apartment, I opened my own and walked in with Lily still fast asleep against me.

 The light was on in the living room, indicating that Dean was back from his night out. And since he was in the apartment, he had obviously been unsuccessful in getting a date for the night. Stepping back to bump the door shut, Dean suddenly leapt up from the sofa, a surprised look on his face, like he had just been woken up.

 "Dude!" He shouted loudly. "What's - "

 I shook my head quickly, glancing towards Lily still wrapped around me. Without saying another word, I walked past Dean and went to my bedroom. I could feel his eyes staring at my back, but I didn't look over my shoulder, I just walked in to my room and shut the door behind me. My bedroom was dark, but the glow from the street lamps below was peaking in through the curtains.