Chapter 38 - Always Family

Hey guys! Thank you for waiting in between my exams, I only have one left now. I hope you enjoy the chapter. After this one there should only be a few left.

Photo: Noah

Song: Skinny Love, by Birdy 

............................................

Leaning against the back of the chair, I rubbed my eyes and brushed the hair away from my forehead. My eyes were sore and my whole body ached. I had been sat in the chair at his bedside for hours, never letting go of Noah's hand. I had to make sure that he knew I was there. In some wishful way, I hoped maybe it would help him wake up but there had been no change. He still hadn't moved and every minute that passed by, my fear for him grew.

Looking across the bed, I saw Dean and Jen sitting next to each other. Jen was fast asleep against his shoulder, and I couldn't blame her. Truthfully, I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and escape for a little while. But as soon as I tried, Pete flashed through my mind and the fear overtook me. So I didn't go to sleep. And I didn't dream. I just held on to Noah's hand, willing him to wake up and look at me. Dean had refused to leave, instead he just sat by Noah's bedside and stared down at him, a vacant look in his eyes.

I could tell he was trying to be strong, trying to keep himself composed but he wasn't fooling anyone. Every now and then, I would catch him wiping away his tears or reaching out to Noah, before he'd pull his hand back and his expression returned to one of hiding the emotion; a blank stare. As I stroked Noah's palm and took a deep breath, trying to ignore the mechanical whirring of the machines that seemed to pierce the silence of the room, the door opened and the doctor from before stepped in, an apologetic look on his face.

"I'm sorry to disturb you," he said, glancing at the bed towards Noah. "But it's way past visiting hours. It's against policy for you to stay here any longer."

His words sent dread through me, and I felt my heart beat increase. It was pure fear, thinking about leaving Noah's side which I just couldn't do. I shook my head and got off the chair just as Dean shook Jen awake and stood up. I walked over to the doctor and stood directly in front of him. "I'm not leaving," I said, looking over my shoulder as Jen and Dean stepped up behind me. "Please, I can't. I have to be here when he wakes up."

"Come on doc," Dean said, putting his hand on my shoulder. "He can't be here on his own. He needs somebody here."

I could see the doctor considering it, so I placed my hand on his arm and stared at him. "Please," I whispered, feeling the tears stinging the back of my eyes.

He placed his hand on mine and smiled gently. "I shouldn't, but I guess I'm going to have to make an exception aren't I? Because somehow, I have a feeling that you're not going to leave."

"You're right," I said. "I'm not leaving. You'll have to get security to drag me out and even then I would find my way back to him."

"Ok, I understand but only one of you can stay. I'm bending the rules enough as it is without all three of you staying overnight. And you," he said, pointing towards Jen. "You need to go home and get some rest. After a head wound you need to take it easy and ideally, you shouldn't be alone."

"I'll go with her," Dean said, wrapping his arm around her waist protectively. "You'll stay with me tonight."

"Thanks," Jen said, panic running through her words. "I can't go back to the apartment. I just can't go there. Not after...."

"It's probably still a crime scene," I muttered absent mindedly, glancing over my shoulder at Noah, still lying in the bed. Unmoving. Every time I looked at him my heart sank, my mind refusing to accept that there was a good chance he would never wake up.