Chapter 36 - Heart

Photo: Noah

Song used for this chapter: Knocking On Heaven's Door, by Bob Dylan

.............................................

"This can't be happening," I sobbed, stroking the hair away from Noah's forehead which was clammy, his warmth gone.

There was no way I could lose him. Coming to my senses, I gently laid his head on the floor and scrambled up as quickly as I could. I ran in to Jen's room frantically and looked at the floor where my phone was. "Fuck!" I screamed, my heart beating rapidly as my eyes caught sight of it, shattered in to pieces. I couldn't use it.

A muffled cry came from the bed and I glanced up. Jen was trying to sit up, a confused look in her eyes. Running over to her, I held her shoulder and tried to catch my breath. "What did he do with your phone Jen?" I cried, despair filling my heart as I thought about Noah lying on the hardwood floor alone. "Goddamn it Jen where is it?"

"I, I - " she mumbled, her eyes closing as she tried to focus.

"Jen," I shouted, forcing her to look at me. "Please tell me, Noah's been stabbed. I need it now!"

"He, he took it."

With the tears streaming down my face, I sprinted from the bedroom and back in to the living room. My eyes drifted to Noah as I stopped beside the unconscious form of Pete, slumped on the ground. I could see Noah's chest rising and falling, but his shirt was soaked red. The bleeding wasn't stopping. Pure hatred filled my heart as I knelt down beside Pete. I wanted nothing more than to pick up the knife and take his life away, but I knew there wasn't time. Fear almost paralysed me as I reached out and put my hand in his coat pocket. But there wasn't anything that was going to stop me from getting that phone.

My hands shook as I quickly tried both pockets and I never took my eyes off him. When my hand closed around Jen's phone, I cried in relief and pulled it out. Flipping it open, I dialled 911 as I crawled back over to Noah. After an agonizing second, a voice came on the line.

"This is the - "

"You have to send an ambulance now, my boyfriend's been stabbed. He's bleeding badly, he needs help now!" I screamed, pulling him in to my lap as I rocked back and forward on the floor of the apartment, refusing to let him go.

"Calm down Miss. What's your address?"

"17 Market Way," I sobbed "Apartment 2A. Please hurry!"

"Miss an ambulance has been dispatched and is on its' way. It'll be with you in five minutes. It's vital that you tell me...is the perpertrator still in the apartment?"

But I couldn't answer. The only thing I could do was look at Noah. Beads of sweat rolled down his forehead and he was cold to the touch. "Please don't leave me, college boy," I whispered, dropping the phone as the woman's voice faintly spoke on the other end. "You said we'd grow old together. Just open your eyes okay? Please just open your eyes."

But he didn't. I stroked his face, too scared to look down at his shirt. It's white colour wasn't visible anymore. The only thing I could see was blood, and I couldn't look. His breath was ragged, and I knew he didn't have long left. The tears rolled down my face as I kissed the top of his head. I couldn't lose him. He was the one I was going to marry someday. And as I cried for him, I waited for the ambulance, praying it would reach him in time.

It was the longest wait I had ever had in my life but five minutes later, the ambulance arrived.

..........................................