A Letter to the Editor

To the Editor in Chief of The CTE Bulletin, Divina Grace;

Three years ago at Mariano Marcos State University College of Teacher Education, we were all called together on the college library for the recruitment of CTE Bulletin Editorial Board and Radio Broadcasting members. You and the Student Council President Mark Kevin Gorospe auditioned for writing positions while I and our Section Mayor Kennedy Ventura auditioned for the radio broadcasting team. It's almost funny to me because it feels like everything has happened only yesterday.

This was the last time I have attempted on getting into a prestigious organization in an academic institution not because of discouragement from not being accepted into a position on the CTE Bulletin but because writing for an academic paper and writing in general is personally associated to me with pain and grief from the past. I remember my attempts of creating my own unofficial digital school paper back when I was in Senior High School complete with an editorial board and contributors from the school I studied at. I've thought to myself that I should put into good use my experience in being the editor in chief of both our school's newspaper and newsletter. The fruits of my efforts resulted in a catastrophic event that discouraged me from involving myself in any activity related to writing for a paper or for an organization. I was frustrated and I lost my passion for writing. Any motivation I had have vanished and I felt writing had no sense of purpose anymore.

I have ascended to mediocrity, nihilism, and adopted a pessimistic view in life. I looked at people around me and I saw them care less for what truth and timely stories a news had to show. The nationwide lockdown did not help at all in instilling lessons and value of what news stories have to offer. I became skeptical of every news outlet in existence if what they were doing even have significance and purpose or if their work meant anything at all to the people.

But then came this time when I have learned of the news that you have become the Editor in Chief of the CTE Bulletin. I saw an invitation from the organization of a screening for new members. My fear held me back from participating the said screening and made up excuses to myself that I write not for any organization but work only for myself -- that I will not contribute any work to any organizations who held a set of beliefs and goals different from mine. I know I was lying to myself as I hold a copy of the September Issue of CTE Bulletin's newsflyer.

And so here I am sitting on my chair writing this letter not to proclaim some grandeur message about politics or any social issues we currently suffer from... but to inspire you all to write simply not for the sake of writing but for the sake of everyone. We live in times where lies and propaganda go hand in hand. The existence of news organizations such as the CTE Bulletin not only help us combat these two but to also cure ignorance and prejudice in the minds of people.

I would like to thank the editor in chief of CTE Bulletin for giving me the chance and privilege of writing this letter. You have made me realize that writing truly carries a weight of importance and you have inspired me to revive what was once dead inside of my heart. Not only you are an editor and an achiever but also a good friend and an inspiration -- a model to everyone of what an exemplary person is.

To the intelligent minds who make up the CTE Bulletin's Editorial Board, keep on writing and never stop from doing it. As they say it in Latin: "Vox Populi, Vox Dei," the voice of the people is the voice of God.

And to the readers of this publication, never rely strongly on other people's view. German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer warned us that whoever attaches a lot of value to the opinions of others pays them too much honor. If we do, we will gradually become indifferent to what goes on in the minds of others -- the narrowness of their views and of the number of their errors.

I would like to end this letter by quoting Nietzsche: "a good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends. It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his blood."

Sincerely,

Heinz.