Girl Meets Father

"Look at that ninth-grade woman." Riley said. I turned around to see a girl applying lip gloss to her lips. "She's putting on makeup. We're going to be ninth-grade women someday." Riley told us. My eyes widened. "This thing goes to ninth grade?" I asked. Riley nodded.

"Why that?" Riley asked, as she pointed to the girl putting on mascara. "Brings out your eyes." Maya asked. "Why would I want to take out my eyes?" Riley asked. "She's not taking out her eyes." I told her. "And I think she is." Riley said. I looked at the girl to see her using an eye lash curler.

"It's an eyelash curler. It doesn't even hurt." The girl said, holding up the eyelash curler for Riley to use. Riley chuckled and took it. "I have eyelashes." Riley said, taking the curler from her. "Watch this." Maya told the girl, as we walked up to her.

"Ahh!" Riley screamed as the curler made contact. "Anybody else would stop." I told her. "Ahh!" Riley screamed again, as her father walked by. "Open it." Mr. Matthews told her. Riley opened it and stood up straight. "Thanks, daddy." Riley said. "Yeah, okay." Cory said, walking away.

"Ladies." Farkle greeted, walking up to us. "Farkle." We greeted back. "School dance. I'm gonna put you three down for dance numbers one through all of them. We will alternate. You and me, me and you, you and me. When you are not dancing with me, you may not dance with anyone else. You may sit and wait until you dance with me again." Farkle told us. I shook my head. "Yeah, none of this is happening." Maya and I told him in unison.

"Oh." Farkle said, disappointed, "Well, then may I have one dance with each of you?" "Sure." Riley answered. "Ha! That's all I wanted. You just got played by Farkle." Farkle said, walking away.

"Hey, guys." Lucas greeted, walking by us. "Lucas!" Riley shouted, raising her hand. "Hand." Maya said. "Lucas!" Riley shouted. "Grown-up voice." I reminded. "Lucas, hello." Riley said, walking up to him. "Hey." Lucas greeted.

"Hey, hee haw." Maya greeted. "You going to tick tock shake your body time?" I asked. "'Cause, you know, it's not a square-dance, so not gonna be a whole lot of do-si-doin'." Maya finished. "Well, then I'm sure I'll have no idea what to do and you two can make fun of me." Lucas said. My eyes widened.

"You're not playing this right!" Maya and I shouted, pointing at him. "Well, that's certainly not my intention. I'll try harder next time." Lucas said. "We will break you!" We shouted in unison. "Well, if that's what makes you happy, then I certainly can't wait for it Madams," Lucas said, tipping an invisible hat at us. Maya and I shuddered. "Ohhhh!" We both shouted, and turned around.

"You going to the school dance, Lucas?" Riley asked. "Thought I would. You?" Lucas asked. Maya mimicked a gagging sound. "You hear me?" Maya asked. She did the gagging sound again. "You'll both be there. He'll be the one in the cowboy hat going like this." I said. Maya and I began to do some sort of cowboy dance.

The bell rung, as more people joined. Riley and Lucas walked away. People were clapping in rhythm for me and Maya. We stopped and glared at the people. "It isn't for you!" We shouted at them. They kept clapping. Maya and I looked at each other. "Okay, fine," She said. She and I continued our dance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Friar." Cory greeted, as we walked into the class the next day, "Farkle. Hart. Hart. You." The last one he said to Riley. "Dad, I didn't-" Riley began as I sat in my seat. "Ferp!" Cory said, cutting her off. "Okay." Riley said. She walked to her seat next to me and sat down.

"Well, guys, I've got your test results on Darwin to give back to you. And, uh, I'm pleased to see some of you have evolved since the last quiz." Cory said. He looked at us, probably expecting us to laugh or something. "Ha!" Farkle shouted. "Thanks, Farkle." Cory thanked. "Well, you were drowning, sir." Farkle said. "So. Let him drown," I said, earning a glare from Cory.