Girl Meets Flaws

"Graduation and awards night is coming up. I am very proud of this class. Several of you will be recognized for your achievements throughout the year." Cory told us. "Awards are a scam!" Maya and I shouted in unison, jumping up from our desks, "Girls like us never had a chance, Matthews. Never had a chance." Maya and I looked down at Riley. "All right, I'll do it, but it's ridiculous." Riley said. She stood up. "It's a scam, Matthews! They never had a chance!" Riley shouted. 

"Maya will be receiving the Griff Hawkins Totally Cool Award." Cory told the class. The whole class clapped as Maya sat back down.  "Maya, you just found out you won the Totally Cool Award, yet you just sit there?" Riley asked. I looked down at Maya to see her just staring at Maya and I. "Oh, you're being cool." Riley said, finally realizing it, "Why won't you rub off on me?"

I rolled my eyes, and turned to Cory. "Dylan will be receiving the John Quincy Adams Outstanding Student Award for her amazing written assignments." Cory told me. The class clapped as I sat back down. "Dylan. You won the Outstanding Student Award and you sit there. I thought you would be more excited." Riley said. I just stared at Riley. "Oh. You're being cool too. Seriously why won't you and Maya rub off on me?!" Riley said. I smiled and turned back to Cory.

" And our two finalists for the scholar athlete award are Lucas Friar," Cory began, but stopped so we could applaud. "And Billy Ross." We clapped again. "I hope you're ready for some competition, dude." Billy told Lucas. "Oh, well, you know how I hate competition." Lucas said. The two laughed. Stopped. Glared at each other, and the laughed again.

"Hey, golden boys, you wanna hop down from your cloud of awesomeness?" I asked. "You're making us normals feel bad." Maya added. I nodded. "You are," I told them. "Yeah. Right after our handshake of awesomeness." Billy said. He and Lucas stood up. They did their "handshake of awesomeness" which ended in a chest bump. They both then sat back down. Maya and I sighed. "Every day." We said in unison and turned back around in our seats.

"Girls should have their own handshake of awesomeness." Riley told us. "Yeah. We should," I said. "What would it be?" Maya asked. The three of us crossed our legs, whipped our hair back and then looked at each other. "Stop it." We said in perfect unison.

"Farkle, you are being awarded the Joseph T. R. Epstein confidence award. Congratulations." Cory said, looking up at Farkle's desk, "Farkle?" I turned around and saw a machine on Farkle's empty desk. "Farkle can't come to his desk right now. If you have a question for Farkle, say, one. A comment, say, two. Billing questions, three." The voice of Farkle came through the machine. 

"One. Where are you?" Cory asked. "You have selected "three." The machine said. "No, I said, "one." Cory protested. "Sorry, we are experiencing unusually high call volume. Your call will be answered in approximately 35 Minutes." The machine said. But for 35 some man said it instead. Some hold music began to play. "Representative!" Cory shouted at the machine. "What is this? Farkle's never missed a class in his life." Cory said, looking at all of us. I shrugged. The bell ringed. I picked up my books and walked to Mr. Matthews with Riley and Maya.

"Yes?" Cory asked. "Everybody's getting an award but me. What good is having you as my teacher if the fix ain't in?!" Riley shouted. "I'm sorry, Riley." Cory apologized. "Riley, you don't need a trophy to make you feel good about yourself." Maya told her. I nodded. "Yeah, Riley. We all know your special." I told her. "Yes, I do. Sometimes I feel kind of invisible." Riley told us. "Sometimes you want to be invisible, Riley. Believe me." The voice of Farkle said through the machine.

~~~~~~~~~

"Dylan and I looked in the library." Lucas informed Maya and Riley as we walked into the hall. We were all searching for Farkle. "He's not there." I stated. "Hey, guys, I checked the ball field. No Farkle." Billy told us, appearing out of nowhere. "You looked on the baseball field for Farkle?" I asked, "Billy, are you even trying?" "Not really." Billy said, shaking his head. He walked away.