Girl Meets Crazy Hat

Thunder rumbled as Maya, Riley, and I entered the subway station. I noticed a lady which we see like every day on the bench. "There she is again." Riley said, also noticing. "Crazy hat's always here." Maya pointed out. "What do you think her deal is? Former movie star? Olympic figure skater?" Riley asked. "Bum on a bench." I said, looking at her.

"But look at how she looks at everyone. What goes on in a head like hers?" Riley said, "I guess we'll never know." "Hey, crazy hat!" I shouted, getting her attention. "What goes on in your head?" Maya asked her. "And a new adventure begins." Riley said. "You, you and you, c'mere! I'll teach you about life." Crazy hat said. The three of us walked up to her. Maya and I sat down on either side of her.

"Can't. Stranger. You want me to sit on the bench, I'm gonna need three forms of identification." Riley said. A police officer walked up to us. "Trust me. I know who she is. She's all right." The officer told Riley. "Okay, copper." Riley said, saluting the officer. "Hey! That's officer copper to you." The officer told her. I held in my giggle. 

"Mornin', Evelyn. Never gonna stop rainin', is it?" The officer asked Crazy Hat. "That's okay, Eugene. These three little dollies are about to give me one of their designer ponchos." Crazy Hat said. "They're garbage bags, Eugene." I told the officer, as Riley held up another garbage bag. If you didn't know, Riley was wearing one. "But you have to put a hole for your head." Riley told him. "Ah, so you can breathe." The officer guessed. "So the garbageman doesn't throw you out." I told him. "Yep, that happened." Riley said, "I was yelling, but he didn't care." "Dylan and I rescued her from the truck." Maya said. I nodded. "They chased me all the way to 33rd street." Riley added. 

"Wow, now that are friends. Me? I don't chase nobody for nothin'." The officer told us. I raised my eyebrow. "Really?" I asked. "What if I stole a banana?" Maya asked. "I'd be very disappointed in you." The officer told her. "Okay." Maya said in a depressing tone.

"I have observed you three are good friends." Crazy Hat told us. "Don't miss a thing, do you, Crazy Hat?" I asked. "No, I don't. Now you're about to be late for school, and I'm about to be late for addressing the united nations." Crazy Hat told us, "Have a good day, dollies. Be good people, learn all you can." Crazy Hat stood up from the bench with a garbage bag in her hands. She walked out of the subway station.

"How does that happen to someone, Maya, Dylan? Do you think that could ever happen to us?" Riley asked us. Some dude walked up to Riley and put his apple core in her hand. "Well, at least nothing worse than that could ever happen." Maya said. I nodded. Some garbage dude picked Riley up and put her in his garbage bin. "Maya! Dylan!" Riley shouted as the garbageman took her away. I picked up Riley's backpack and Maya and I followed her. "Spoke too soon," I said. "Okay." Maya said.

~~~~~~~~

"Belgium, 1831-" Cory started. "No!" Riley shouted, cutting him off. "In 1831, Belgium-" Cory started again. "No!" Riley shouted again, and cut him off. Again. "Riley?" Cory asked. "What's my thing?" Riley asked. "What's your thing?" Cory asked. "What am I going to be, dad? Am I gonna be okay?" Riley questioned. "Riley, listen to me very carefully." Cory said. "Okay." Riley said, nodding her head. "In 1831, Belgium declared its independence from the Netherlands." Cory said. "No!" I shouted.

"What will people be thinking of me if I end up living in a subway?" Riley asked. "What if nothing happens for her, sir? Riley can't end up like that." Maya said. I nodded. "She's our meal ticket!" I shouted. "What the? I just saw you girls at breakfast!" Cory said. Farkle then began to say something in dutch. 

"Calm down, Farkle. You're speaking in Dutch again." Cory told him. I nodded. Farkle slapped himself. This time he spoke in Spanish. "No no no. You slapped yourself way too hard. You went all the way to Spanish." Cory told him. Farkle slapped himself again. "My education should not be based on your daughter's moods." Farkle told Cory. "Neither should mine, but it is!" Cory said. He turned to the rest of us.