Girl Meets First Date

I was sitting in Mr. Matthews class with Maya, Farkle, and the rest of the class. Riley and Lucas weren't here yet. And neither was Mr. Matthews. "Hey, Maya. Are we hanging out with Riley at her house or at Svorski's?" I asked. "I think it's her house," Maya said. I nodded. Suddenly the front door opened and in ran in Mr. Matthews, carrying Riley bridal style. He put Riley down at her desk.

"Dad, are you out of your mind?" Riley asked. "Riley, it's time for the talk." Cory told her. "In front of the whole class?!" Riley shouted. "Yeah, give her the talk. Let's see what you know." Maya said. "Yeah. What do you know?" I asked. "Okay. When a daughter-" Cory started. "Stop." Riley ordered. I saw Cory's eyes glance at the window of our classroom and then back at us. "Excuse me." He said. He ran to the back door and closed it. I'm guessing he closed it on Lucas, cause he was the only one who wasn't here yet. "Not today, chachi." Cory told him.

The door was then pushed opened, by none other than Lucas. "Sir, you've known me all year. You like me, admit it." Lucas said. "I don't wanna." Cory said. "You're acting like a 5 year old, who's parents are trying to make his eat his Brussel sprouts," I informed Cory. "I don't care," He said.

"Sir. I'm one of the good kids. What are you so afraid of?" Lucas asked. He walked over and took a seat at his desk. "Okay." Mr. Matthews said. He went over to the chalkboard and erased the writing which was on the board. The writing said: Belgium 1831. "No-ooo!" Farkle shouted, trailing off. I looked at him and saw he was wearing a shirt that had the Belgium flag on it and he was holding a Belgium flag in his hands. "I still don't get why you care so much about 1831 in Belguim," I said, before turning back around.

"Okay, guys. It's seventh-grade spring fever, which leads to dating, which leads to movies, which leads to popcorn, which leads to putting your hands together in the dark touching the popcorn, which leads to holding hands," Cory said, "Which leads to that." He pointed to Darby and Yogi. I turned to Darby's desk and saw they were Eskimo kissing. I found it disturbing. "Oh, I am not ready for this." Cory said. "Me either," I said, "Make this stop." Cory walked over to the two and pulled Yogi back to his desk which was on the other side of Riley's.

"Riley, I am begging you, stay in Neverland, okay? No growing up." Cory said. Farkle raised his hand. "What do you want?" Cory asked in an annoyed expression. "The way I see it, I'm in an interesting position here." Farkle said. "How do you figure, Farkle?" Cory questioned. "Let's approach this as a scientific equation. You're scared of Lucas going out with Riley, right?" Farkle asked. I began to feel uncomfortable and shifted my position. Cory scoffed. "Oh, does it show?" Cory asked. "Yeah, he's good-looking and athletic." Farkle said. I did a little nod to that.

"He's 36!" Cory shouted. "Sure he is. And you're 33," I said, sarcastically. Cory raised an eyebrow. "Farkle continue. Please," Cory said. "Give your daughter to me. I'll give you four oxen and my best milking cow." Farkle said. Cory looked over at Lucas. "Are you actually thinking about it?" I questioned.

"It's a good deal." Cory said. Riley stood up. "I will decide who I go on my first date with at such time as somebody asks me." Riley said. I looked over at Lucas and saw he was already looking at me. He hesitantly raised his hand. Riley looked over at him and then back at her father with a big smile on her face.

~~~~

Maya, Riley, and I were at our lockers. I was upset about what happened in class, but I hid my emotions. "Why do you think he put his hand back down?" Riley asked. "Because your dad wouldn't call on him." Maya said. "And I don't think he ever will again." I said, playing along even though I was hurting inside. Riley sighed.

"Life used to be so simple, Maya, Dylan. Wake up, brush my hair, eat cereal, pick up the bowl of cereal that I dropped." Riley told us. "When did all of this pressure happen?" Maya asked. "When we started to like boys. Well when you two started liking boys," I said. Maya gave me a look before turning back to Riley. "Boys have it easy, they get to ask." Riley said.