Girl Meets Friendship

"The following is a campaign commercial brought to you by," Maya started. "The Riley: Imagine your education in a magical kingdom and unicorns roam the halls." I finished, and walked off with Maya. Riley rode into the room on a horse that had a cone taped to it's head. 

"Say goodbye to too much studying." Riley said. She pointed her wand to a couple of students with books in their hands. The books disappeared. "Say goodbye to meddling teachers." Riley said, as she pointed her wand at Mr. Matthews as he walked by. "But, Riley, I'm your fa-" Cory started, before he disappeared. "A vote for me is a vote to live happily ever after." Riley said. Maya and I stepped forward.

"She is princess Riley Matthews and she approveth this messageth." I said, all royally. "The campaign of Riley Matthews is not responsible for anyone who thinks a horse is a unicorn." Maya said, as I gestured towards the horse. "No, we're not." Maya said, as she and I petted the horse. 

~~~~~~~~~

"Democracy. Our form of government where the power lies with the people. So who here can tell me another form of government where the power doesn't lie with the people?" Cory asked us in class, "Farkle!" "Thank you, sir." Farkle said, "Dictators! Love 'em. They get to do whatever they want. I wanna be one someday." Farkle said. I turned to him. "I'm sure you'll do fine with that," I told him. 

Right at the moment, Lucas walked into the room, and handed Mr. Matthews a late slip. "Mr. Friar!" Cory said. "Sorry for being late, sir. My flight was delayed." Lucas told him. "You went back to Texas again this weekend?" Riley asked. "Visited my friends." Lucas replied. "He misses his old friends." Riley said. "Aww. Cowboy's got the blues." I said. Maya and I shared a knowing look.

"Campfire for one. My friends are all cows. And I miss 'em. Ha-hur, ha-hur-hur," Maya and I sang together. I heard a harmonica playing. I turned around and saw Lucas who was playing one. "We will never get to you, will we?" I asked. "No, but I sure do appreciate the effort." Lucas said. He winked at me. I turned around. "Ooh!" I shouted, angrily.  

"Okay, guys, seventh grade student council elections are coming up." Cory told us. We all groaned. Except Farkle. He said "Yay." Cory chuckled. "Why that?" He asked. "Because every year somebody runs, makes promises and nobody does anything." Riley said. I nodded. "Yeah. What lunkhead's running the elections this year?" Maya asked. "How ya doing?" Cory asked, answering Maya's question. 

"Can't you just make a change? Like. Those people do on TV?" I asked. "You know what? It's up to you guys to make changes. Since we're studying alternate forms of governments this year, why not let the candidates run in any form of government they choose?" Cory asked. We all groaned while Farkle said "Yay" again. "So any nominations?" Cory asked. 

"I, Farkle, nominate I, Farkle, for dictator." Farkle said. "How come he gets to be a dictator? I want to be a dictator!" I said. "You can't do that Dylan. You're too nice," Riley told me. "I am?" I questioned. "She is?" Cory questioned at the same time. I glared at him. "S-Sorry. I just. You know what? Never mind," Cory said, before turning back to Farkle, "You can't nominate yourself, Farkle."  "I'll nominate him."  The rebel spoke. "Really?" Farkle asked, shocked. "Yeah. I like ya. I got your back." The rebel replied. "I thought you had his back." I told Lucas. "I got his back." Lucas said, turning to the rebel. 

"Whoa, easy there, harmonica." The rebel said. "Who are you? Where did you come from?" Lucas questioned. "He's the rebel." Riley told him. "Well, what am I?" Lucas asked. "Oh, you're the good guy. You're our moral compass." Farkle replied. "Wow. That sounds hard to pull off." Lucas admitted. "Yeah. But you're really good at it." I told him, giving him a small smile. He returned it. "Thanks." Lucas said.  "They're right, Friar. Represent democracy." Cory ordered, in a way. "I don't know, Mr. Matthews. If democracy worked, maybe I'd have gotten a vote on where I get to live." Lucas said.