Girl Meets Smackle

"Ancient Greece," Cory began his lesson. "What that? What that that?" Riley asked, pointing to the box in his hands. "What thi-this? This is a present." Cory answered.  "Is it for me?" Riley asked. "What's your game, Matthews?" Maya and I asked in unison. "Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present." Cory said. Everyone in the class raised their hands. Except for me, Maya, and Cory.

"Oh, Maya, Dylan, what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to one of you two?" Cory asked. "Well, yes." Maya replied. "That's one of the many arrows in our quiver." I added. I heard Farkle shudder from behind me, if that was even possible. "Medieval talk. What are you doing to me, woman?" Farkle asked me. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the front of the room. 

"Riley." Cory said, placing the present of Riley's desk. "Yay!" Riley cheered. She opened the box. The smile on her face fell, and she raised a plaque. "The trojan horse"?" I read from the plaque in a questionable way, as I turned and glared at Cory. "Surprise." He said, while doing jazz hands. "This isn't a present." I hissed. "Yeah. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing." Riley said, agreeing. "How you doing, honey?" Maya asked. "I'ma worked up." Riley said. "I know. And I agree," I stated. 

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the trojans did?" Cory asked. "They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something." I said. Cory shook his head at me. 

"They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy." Cory said, "What have we learned here? Mr. Friar?" "Don't make assumptions based on what you see?" Lucas guessed. "Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example of you. So here's a gift for you." Cory said, holding up a smaller box. "Ooh no! I want to no! Pretty ribbon no!" Riley shouted, arguing with herself.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas said. Cory handed Lucas the box. "No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good. Aren't you all proud of me, dad?" Riley said. "No!" Cory shouted. "Get out of detention free." Lucas said, reading the back of 2 cards he was now holding. My eyes widened. "Ooh, we could use two of those." Maya and I said in unison. "Gimme that and we won't call you "Ranger Rick" all week." I offered. "Here you go." Lucas said. He handed Maya and I each a card. "Thanks, Ranger Roy." Maya and I thanked. 

"Lemme guess. Ranger Roy is filling in for Ranger Rick?" Lucas asked. "All week." Maya told him. I turned to Cory. "And now you." I told him. "Oh, is something gonna happen to me?" Cory asked. "Yes, it is." I said, while standing up. We both began to scat, while running onto Matthews' desk. 

"D-d-d-detention! But not today. Boom!" Maya and I ended. "Read the cards." Cory ordered. "Huh?" Maya and I asked. "Cards." Cory repeated. "Say 'get out of detention free' then give worthless cards to Maya and Dylan then watch them dance on my desk." Maya and I read from the back of our cards. I gave Matthews a glare, before walking back to my seat with Maya.

"Never assume. Look more deeply. Just because something is wrapped up all pretty, doesn't always mean it is." Matthews told us. Maya and I turned to Lucas. "You were in on this!" We shouted at him. "I'm Ranger Roy and I'll be here all week." Lucas said, tipping an imaginary hat. "Oh-ho-ho." Maya and I said, turning back to the front of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"In conclusion, school uniforms reduce individuality which will be unnecessary in the real world when you're all working for me." Farkle concluded his speech, "Thank you. I am Farkle!" Right now, my friends and I were at the school debate. Which wasn't really my thing. But I hand nothing else to do, so. Yeah.