Girl Meets Loyalty

"Canada," Mr. Matthews started in class the next day. "Why are we talking about Canada?" Riley asked. "Yeah. Why are we? We live in the states," Maya said. "Let me finish." Cory said, "Canada was once a place filled with only people who were born there." "What does that have to do with history?" I asked. "Let me finish, Dylan. You may learn a lesson," Cory told me. "In this class. Whatever you teach has something to do with our lives. How does Canada have anything to do with our lives?" I asked. My eyes widened. "Are we going on a class trip there?" I asked. "No," Cory said. "Boo!" I shouted.

"Dylan. You never know. There could be some sort of unexpected twist Mr. Matthews is planning," Lucas told me. "Aw! Look at Huckleberry defending the teacher. How original," Maya said. "I agree with Lucas. There seems to always be a twist," Farkle said. "Riley? Do you have anything going on in your life right now?" Maya asked. "Last time I checked. Nothing new here." Riley answered. "Maya? Got any mother problems you didn't tell me about?" I asked her. "Nope. I got nothing," Maya said. "Farkle?" Riley asked. "Nope. Unless this is the day, where Dylan agrees to marry me," Farkle said. "It's not," I told him. "Lucas?" Farkle asked. "Nothing ever happens to me," Lucas said.

"Well. That leaves just one last person." Lucas said. Everyone looked at me. "How ya doing?" I asked. "Dylan? Got anything happening in your life?" Lucas asked. "Nope. Got no problems. Everything is fine here," I replied. "We'll see about that," Cory said. "What does that mean?" Riley asked. "Somethings going to happen. Something big," Maya answered. "Now I got that song stuck in my head." Farkle said. I smirked. "Something big I feel it happening. Out of my control. Pushing, pulling, and its grabbing me. Feel it in my bones. Like-" I sang. Farkle screamed, stopping me. "Okay. Can I now get back to my lesson?" Cory asked, looking at me.

"Wait. Give me a minute.... I got to nothing to say, continue," I told him. I leaned back in my seat. "Okay. As I was saying Canada was once a place filled with people who were born there. They were called First Nations. One day people from other countries came into the place. And it changed everything for them," Cory told us. "And here comes the big thing," Maya said. The front door opened and in walked this boy who was about an inch taller than me.

He had brown eyes, and had brown hair which was a little spiky. I had to admit he looked kind of cute. "Hi. Is this Mr. Matthews class?" The un-named boy asked. "Yeah it is. Welcome to the place where things come to life," Maya said. "Hello, new classmate. I think," Riley greeted. Riley nudged me. Our desks were really close. "Oh. Sup'," I greeted.

"As the girls said. Yeah. Are you my new student?" Cory asked. "New student? It's almost the end of the year. Why would you get a new student when the school year is about to end?" I asked. "You know what. I know we have barely met, but I already like you," The boy said. "Thanks. I can't say the same about you though," I told him. The boy smirked.

"Class this is Jake Bennett. Jake this is the class." Cory introduced. "Hey, class!" Jake said. The class mumbled hellos. "Just so you know, we learn a lot of things here, but none of those things are about Belgium-" Farkle began. "Do not finish that sentence," I told him. Farkle looked down and didn't finish. "Jake you can take a seat behind Mr. Minkus." Cory said. "Who?" Jake questioned. "That guy," Maya said, pointing to Farkle. Jake nodded and took his seat behind Farkle.

"So. Back to the whole Canada, First Nations thing. You said everything changed. Was it for the better or for the worst?" Lucas asked. "That is the real question. I'll let you guys figure it out on your own," Cory said.

~~~~

I was at my locker, putting my history book away. I closed it and turned around to go to the cafeteria. But I was stopped by Jake. "Hey," I said, slightly confused on why he approached me. "I never really caught your name..." He said to me. "It's Hart. Dylan Hart," I said, cooly. "Well, nice to meet you Dylan Hart. You already know who I am. So I'm pretty sure I don't have to introduce myself. I was wondering if you wanted to grab a bite to eat," Jake said.