Girl Meets Master Plan

I was sitting in Riley's bedroom window, while she wrapped the gift we had gotten Maya. I looked out and saw Maya coming. "Riley! She's coming!" I told her. Riley quickly rushed over to me and sat beside me. She held out the present. Maya crawled in through the window. "Happy 14, Maya!" Riley and I said in unison. "How's 14?" I asked her, as Riley handed her the present. "Tell us what it's like to be 14, but don't leave anything out." Riley said. "So far it's a lot of work." Maya said, still trying to un-wrap the present.

"Because you know we'll be there soon, and we want to know what we have to look forward to." I said. "Well, if you're like me, you can look forward to your mother forgetting your birthday." Maya said. I looked down, cause I knew about the whole mom forgetting Maya's birthday. "Oh, no she did not!" Riley said, trying to crawl through the window. Maya and I each grabbed a side of the suspenders she was wearing. "Where you goin', honey?" We both asked. "Must talk to your mom." Riley said. "Must not get involved." Maya said. We pulled Riley back down.

"Why do you tell me these things if you don't expect me to fix them?" Riley asked. "When you're 14, you'll understand." Maya said. "I still don't get how our own mother could forget your birthday, Maya," I told her. "I've stopped trying to figure it out. She was already gone when I woke up this morning. She probably just took an early shift at the diner." Maya said. "Rather than be there for your birthday? Nuh-uh" Riley asked. Riley and me this time tried to exit through the window, but Maya stopped us.

"Riles, Dyl, friendship ring." Maya said. "Yeah." Riley and I said. "Three of them." Maya said. "Yeah!" Riley and I cheered. "In case I lose one." Maya said. "No." Riley and I said. We stopped trying to leave and just sat there. "Well, anybody else would have just gotten me one." Maya said. "No." Riley and I said. "Oh, I get it. One for one hand and two for the other," Maya said. "No." We repeated. "I'll never take this off until I die." Maya said, putting on one hand. "You'll probably die before us since you're older." I told her. "Should I tell the people not to take it off your dead corpse body?" Riley offered. "Yeah, would you do that for me?" Maya asked.

"And, Maya, the other rings..." Riley started. "Are for you two." Maya said. I nodded. "Yeah." Riley and I said. We put the rings on. "Oh, no. If you're not there, who's going to tell the people not to take it off my dead corpse body?" Riley asked. "Don't worry, Riley. I will be there. Wait. Who's going to tell the people about my ring?" I asked. Maya giggled and we all shared a group hug. "Happy Birthday, Maya." Riley and I said. "Thanks for not forgetting." Maya said. "No problem. That's what sisters do," I told her. "Oh, yeah, that reminds me." Riley said. She tried to make an exit through the window, but Maya and I held her back.

~~~~

We had just came back from a little birthday brunch and were walking into the Matthews' living room. When we walked in, I thought I saw Shawn, but I wasn't too sure. "Are you really here?" Riley asked. "Yep, I'm here." Shawn replied. "Uncle Shawn!" Riley cheered. Shawn and her shared hug. He turned to me. "Hey," He greeted. "Hiya!" I greeted. We shared a hug. Then he turned to Maya. "Hey there." He greeted her. "Hey." Maya greeted. They then shared a hug.

"It's her birthday. Squeeze her good." Riley told him. "Oh, Happy Birthday, kiddo. You doing something special?" Shawn asked. "This is it." Maya said, still hugging him. They released when the front door opened. In walked Cory and Topanga. Cory was holding a cake, which I'm going to assume is for Maya.

"Honey, hide the cake before Maya gets here." Topanga said. "I know, but you know what we should do? We should bring this cake to Maya's mother just in case she forgot to get her own kid a cake." Cory said. Topanga looked behind Cory, since his back was turned to us. "Oh, you think that could actually happen?" Topanga asked, for Maya's sake. "Honey, I grew up with Shawn Hunter. Remember his mother? She forgot where she lived." Cory said, "See, my biggest worry is that forgetting to give your kid a cake is the first step to forgetting where you live." "Oh, that's not your biggest worry anymore." Topanga told him.