Winners and losers

Mention of physical abuse!

Belle's pov:

It was not even an hour ago when we posted my statement and my phone was already going to explode. It was a disaster. I got hundreds of messages saying that I could never be like my mom or even my sister. I guess my parents had the same opinion as them...

"Do you understand how bad this is for our reputation, Belle?" I've never seen my mother that mad at me. She, my father, my sister and I were sitting around the table in one of our rooms with Sara next to me. She was the only one on my side at this moment.

"After the statement, a lot of people see her point of view and blame the interviewer for crossing the line, as they should. I don't think that this is gonna leave a big scar on the family. It can even be used to your advantage." My best friend was trying so hard to help me but by the look of my parents, I didn't believe even for a second that it was working.

"It still doesn't change the fact that she isn't ready to-" Suddenly my mother stopped talking. The room went completely quiet for a while when I finally got the courage to talk.

"None of you think I am ready." I felt so stupid for not realizing it until now. After saying it out loud it felt like my heart broke into million pieces. That's when everything came back to me, my brain reminding me of all the things that I've missed before because I was being naive. "That's why you let me go away to study, saying that you want me to have everything that I want, before stepping into royal duties. That's why you were never pressuring me to show up in front of people. You just never thought that I will ever need to." At this point my eyes were filling with tears, my voice beginning to break more and more with every sentence.

"They never said that Belle..." Oh my god, wait a damn minute-

"You knew from the beginning, didn't you? That's why you stopped complaining about being the second daughter just after I went away for college. You knew that they were gonna choose you over me, that you were gonna be the winner."

"Honey, we just thought that you wouldn't be able to handle everything that we deal with every day, because of your condition..." The first time my dad spoke since Sara and I got here. I wish he never did. 

"Because of my condition?" No one answered. All of them were staring at each other with shock written on their faces. "What are you talking about, stop ignoring my question!"

"Your anxiety, Belle. We found out."

"Wha- how?" After saying that, everything was already clear. The little, almost non-noticeable, smile on Clara's face couldn't speak any louder. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I was already screaming in my sister's face not being able to listen to none of them anymore.

"Language!"

"Seriously, mother?"

"You are still a princess after all, you can't behave like this."

"What if I am not?" Horrified looks from everyone in the room. No one could comprehend what I was saying.

"You don't mean that."

"Oh, I do, dad, trust me. I don't want to be part of this bullshit called a royal family. I'm done."

"Do you know how stupid you sound right now? And in what light do you think the media will show us to the world after our daughter leaves the family?"

"You are an unbelievable woman, mother, do you know that?" I couldn't stand being in the same room as them anymore. I went to my bedroom and started packing. Sara just came in and started helping me without saying a word. She already knew what I was doing. That's why I love her and trust her with my life.

After I was ready we just left without telling anyone. I was going to sleep at her place until I figure my shit out. Which was probably gonna take a while. I put my bags in my mother's most expensive car, a matte red and white customed Ferrari, so I can make her go crazy. She loves that car. Possibly more than she loves me. Sara gets into her car too and we drive off. I had already turned my phone off enjoying the last moments of peace before everything goes to the news. As we were having dinner and talking, the doorbell rang leaving us both speechless. Sara went to check while I was getting ready to hide.

"Why the fuck aren't you picking up your phone? You scared the shit out of me, Belle!" Without even turning around I could recognise his voice.

"You don't even have my number, Leclerc."

"It's called Instagram if you have never heard of it, princess..." Only if you knew...

"I just turned my phone off, calm down?! How did you know I was here?"

"I dropped you off, you weren't very hard to find." Thank God, he didn't go to look for me at my home. It was not going to end well.

"Fine, but I still don't get what is your problem." 

"My problem is that when you have a phone you are meant to use it." Okay, what the heck is going on here?

We went silent and suddenly he noticed that we weren't alone. Sara was watching his every move closely, ready to have my back if I needed it. But I knew I wouldn't. Charles would never do something even close to what she was thinking. My previous relationship ended with my boyfriend hurting me physically for the first time ever. I never managed to get over that. My best friend too. That's why she was always looking out for me since it happened.

"Just never scare me like that ever again please." Then he just turned around and started walking towards the door so I followed him.

"Why do you always leave without giving me an explanation?"

"Because some things are not meant to be known, alright? Just let me protect you from this one and don't ask questions."

"I don't need you to protect me, I just want to know why are you acting so weird."

"Fine, come with me."

"What? It's way too late- "

"I guess you don't need answers that much then. Have a nice evening!"

"Ughh, wait."

"With pleasure."