Chapter Two: Something Different

Min-seok POV

An hour and a half had finally passed, the professor's phone alarm chiming and signaling the end of the first lecture of the semester.

"Have the first two chapters read by next class."

Us students continued to pack our bags as the professor did his best to communicate expectations for the next lecture.

"This is going to be a long one." Nam-joon said. "It's always the critical courses that are taught by professors with boring lecture styles. I barely made it without dosing off and it's day one."

"Careful, someone might hear the Nation's son badmouthing someone." Said Ho-seok, the five of us softly laughing before our attention was taken by the voice of the foreign exchange student again.

"Do you want to grab a coffee?" She asked Ji-soo. "I am in desperate need of one, and admittedly can't recall how we got to the cafe last time."

"I will never turn down a trip to the cafe." The two were still in high spirits after such a boring class. "Your next course is with me in Corporate Strategy, right? At 1:30?" The question raised eyebrows across the group and I watched Eun-woo pull out his phone to check his schedule.

"You two have that course as well?" The two girls nodded their heads. "How does this happen? Are you sure you're not still into me Ji-soo?"

"How can you be so dumb? We are the same major and obviously going for the classes with the best professors at the most convenient times."

"Whatever." Said Eun-woo, his cheeks flushed from embarrassment.

"So are you going to introduce us to your new friend, Ji-soo?" Ho-seok asked.

Ji-soo rightfully showed hesitance seeing the cheeky smile on the playboy's face. Danny however maintained the bubbly smile she had been wearing since she walked into the lecture hall and offered her hand for Ho-seok to shake.

"I am assuming English is your native language?" Ho-seok continued. As expected, he was now flaunting off his excellent ability to speak English. "You can call me Paul if that is easier for you."

"You're fluent in English? Did you study in the States?" Danny responded in Korean, keeping the group involved in their discussion.

Ho-seok shook his head. "Canada. I lived there with my Mom for part of middle school and throughout high school. I came back to Korea to get more involved with my father's company when I was accepted into SNU."

Ho-seok paused to gauge her reaction, but it was confirmed she had no idea who we were.

"You can call me Danny." She replied. She then moved on to introduce herself to each of us.

"It's nice to meet you." I said, releasing her hand and doing my best to make sure my thoughts did not surface to my face. I can't tell you the last time someone looked at me like this, as if I was a normal guy. Usually, people were nervous or had a motive for approaching me.

"I am Min-jun. It's nice to meet you." She smiled and nodded her head as they shook hands."Your Korean is really good. How did you learn to speak the language so well?"

"My best friend is Korean. She was born in Korea, but was adopted by a Korean-American family when she was four. She and I have been inseparable since we met playing soccer in a little league. She couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Korean but we really wanted to be friends, so we taught each other our native languages and as we got older, we both became fluent in English and Korean."

Min-jun's smile grew hearing the origin of her ability to speak our language. "Is she in the program too by chance?"

Danny shook her head, a glimpse of disappointment appearing in her eyes. "No, unfortunately she was not accepted. But she will visit sometime this year." She placed another smile on her face before we watched Ji-soo link arms with her.