Chapter Seven: The First Date

Min-seok POV

"Which one do you like best?" I asked, looking at my reflection in the full length mirror as I held one of two shirts to my abdomen.

"Both are too much." Min-jun said. He was laying on my bed, scrolling through his phone.

"You're not even paying attention."

"If I wasn't, how would I know they are both too much?" He tossed his phone to the side before he gave me the undivided attention I was seeking. "Avoid designer brand clothes and keep the first date casual so you can show off more and more should your mother need more convincing."

Per usual, my best friend was thinking 20 steps ahead. I tossed the two shirts on the armchair by the mirror.

"Should I just wear a black v-neck?"

"Yeah with jeans and sneakers. Danny will probably feel more comfortable with that look."

"Yeah, I think so too."

I made my way to my large walk-in closet and started pulling together the recommended outfit.

It was hard to believe tonight was the night my fake relationship with Danny started. It had been a little over a week since she agreed to the idea and a lot had been done to prepare.

As expected, Hana did need convincing. Aside from the obvious fact that no girl wants to see her boyfriend fake dating another girl, Hana and Danny didn't get along. Hana was opposed to Danny and I spending time together alone, but that was a must if we wanted this plan to work. It took two full days to change Hana's mind, but she came around because there was no denying that this plan would make my mom a lot more appreciative of her.

As soon as Hana agreed, we spread the rumors around school that we had broken up, and we have distanced ourselves from each other for the time being. However, I made sure to keep in touch with Hana by phone throughout the day but I was still navigating how to see her in person since my mom always had eyes on me.

Speaking of my mom, she quickly heard about me and Hana's "breakup" and to say she was thrilled would be an understatement. To get out of the silent treatment, I went on two blind dates she set up for me as soon as she found out, and they were incredibly painful. Knowing how determined my mom was to take advantage of me being single, I knew Danny and I had to make our first date happen as soon as possible.

"So did you and Danny decide on your story?" Min-jun asked as he entered my walk-in closet. I was half-way dressed and putting my shirt on.

"Yeah. We decided to keep it consistent with our current relationship." I replied, moving to the glass topped square dresser in the center of the closet to choose a watch from my collection. "She's a foreign exchange student I met in class, and we got close because she's friends with you and the boys."

Min-jun took a seat on the chase lounge along the back wall of my closet.

"Is she going to remain herself, or will she have a new persona as your girlfriend?"

"She will be herself. That was her one condition when she agreed to this."

I decided to go with my favorite Breitling watch and began putting it on my left wrist.

"I think that is for the best anyway." I continued. "I don't want her having to do much. If this goes as planned, all she has to do is be seen with me."

"Let's hope all your mom needs is one single date."

"I know Danny is pretty open with you, and I haven't talked with her much the last two days. Has she told you about any of her concerns?"