PROLOGUE

edited: 01/03/2024

*******************

Selia Jones, who is a 19-year-old woman. Found herself crying in front of her parents' graves on this solemn day. It was a very painful farewell for Selia. Especially when she must embrace a new chapter in her life, so soon after. However, saying goodbye to the past is very hard, when one has an emotional attachment to it.

Selia gently brushed her fingertips against the gravestones. Trying to feel closure, however she only felt the rough texture of the concrete beneath her fingers. It was not smooth like most gravestones, no this one was jagged. That grazed her fingertips, though Selia didn't mind. Since she longed for this physical connection, it was her last attempt to be close to her parents for one last time. Unlike those who could see, Selia was blind, ever since she was born. Regardless of her blindness, Selia managed just fine to find ways to navigate her surroundings. She relied on her other senses to recognize the atmosphere in any given room, as well as the sounds of people's footsteps. As one would expect she had grown used to her parents' footsteps. The sound of her parents' footsteps brought her a sense of comfort and security. Yet now she would never feel the comfort of their footsteps ever again. She now had to face a difficult task of leaving them behind and most likely never visit again. To live with her aunt, Charlotte, who lives in South Korea. Sadly, Selia had no choice in this matter, but to live with her aunt.

Of course, the upcoming change would undoubtedly appear odd to strangers, as Selia, a foreigner, would depart from her country of birth to settle in a foreign land. However, she insists on ignoring any hate or skepticism. As long as she can continue carrying on with her daily activities she usually does. She seeks for a peaceful life while she could get used to the new language and culture that she will have to learn. Selia's exceptional intellect, hidden beneath her inconvenient blindness, allowed her to easily take in and understand the new information given to her, even if had only been said once. They had found out from a young age, that Selia had Hyperthymesia. Which is a rare condition that is characterized by an autobiographical memory.

Her unique ability proved Selia a big advantage as she discusses or learns a subject. She could easily remember restaurant names, landmarks, cultural traditions, and what shocks people most is that she can recall the smallest details or the entire conversation she had with them. Which made her easily adapt to the new language and culture. Most definitely she could learn new things quicker than most.

Selia was thinking about the existential concept of her parents in a different universe. She envisioned it where there was a plane with kindred spirits who were destined to meet once more. Her theory revolved around the wonder of where her parent, if this world really does exist. Would they intensely feel yearn for her presence, maybe even feeling a deeply emotional longing for her to join them. Yet the question Selia asked herself, would she follow them, when also she felt a strange voice saying in her mind never. She found it very scary yet also strange, because when she heard the news for the first time. She was willing to follow them. Yet the neighbor had stayed with her, who made sure she was doing alright.

However, the wondering of this subject was abruptly interrupted from her mind when a soft touch of a hand had rested upon her shoulder. It scared her, but the hand was not a stranger hand, no this hand was from a woman who would bring her to South Korea. However, the touch tried to give Selia the feeling of comfort and that someone would always catch Selia when she would fall into depression or if she would insolate herself from the world. Yet the gesture did in fact not give her any comfort whatsoever. For many people a hand placed on their shoulder was reassurances for them. For Selia it was just another touch that would never be her parents' touch, never be her parents' comfort. Nothing will replace that not this woman not anyone.

However, she did have a sense of gratitude within her. She felt the gratitude for the woman to be there for her in this time. To help her cross this ever-changing world. This woman was just helping her without even asking anything back from Selia. It did remind her that the world still has kindness in them. That humanity was not lost. Even though there still was cruelty in this world.

"Selia darling, we need to go. We must leave otherwise we would not catch the plane" Selia let out a big sigh, nevertheless she stood up. She did not want to go; she did not want to say goodbye to the person who had raised her to the person she was now. Yet she knows that she had to. She firmly held her white cane in one hand. Her other hand was interlocked with the woman's arm. Helping her navigate out of the graveyard towards the car. Who was waiting for them.

---

Together, they stepped forward, joining the bustling crowd making their way through the airport terminal. A wave of different languages filled the air. Selia mind went haywire by the overwhelming noises. With every step, Selia wanted to turn around and go back to the graveyard. The airport did not give her any sort of comfort. It was too overwhelming, and the screams of children did not help. She was grateful for the woman beside her. Who was whispering reassuring words. Selia tried to only listen to the words, trying to drown the other noises. She failed miserably, but at least she tried. When they arrived in a quieter place, did Selia still want to turn around and go to where her parents were, yes. Did she turned around and go to where her parents go, no. Great success.

They had approached the security checkpoint. Yet Selia's heart quickened with dread. She tried to take deep breath to calm her nerves. She knew that this was the next step in her journey. One that could turn to something good for her or something Selia would hate. She heard the sounds of people shuffling and the clinks of belongings passing through the X-ray machines. The unfamiliar noises of the TSA agents ordering instructions mix with the hum of conversations around Selia.

Again, it was overwhelming for Selia, that made her want to cry. Especially when she was instructed to proceed directly through the metal detector while using her white cane. Accompanied by the female companion. The two proceeded through the security checkpoint. With the woman handling all the bags for Selia. They walked towards boarding gate, where the woman showed them the plane ticket. They did not have to wait because when they arrived, they announced that boarding gate 5 has opened to boarding.

Selia was dragged towards there chair on the airplane by the woman who was accompanying her. They took their seat in the airplane. Which made Selia get lost in her thoughts again. She dreaded this transformation of her life. She hated that she had to start a new lifestyle and must learn a new language only because her parents had died. She did not want to replace that lifestyle that she once had. It felt like betraying her parents and Selia felt guilty for that. Why did the universe have to do this. Why couldn't they just let her live in fucking piece. It pissed her off and it also made her sad.

However, the woman sitting next to her was praying for the universe to grant Selia a good life in South Korea, without much trouble. Praying that Selia will have a good life without it being ripped out of her hands again. She prayed extra hard so that Selia will be happy again. Hoping that the universe has heard her prayers and will answer them.