CHAPTER 1

edited: 02/03/2024

*******************

Living with her aunt proved to be an unusual experience for Selia. It was scary how Selia's aunt voice exhibited an uncanny resemblance of that of her mother. It did give her the experience of familiarity within her. Yet she could not confirm if her aunt also looked like her mother, for she has never seen her mother with her own eyes. Since birth she was blind. So, she never had the chance for that. Those chance were ripped away from her and there was nothing she could do about it.

Despite those challenges, Selia quickly had established of a routine within the days she had arrived at her aunt house. She was determined to familiar herself with the new settings. How the house was like inside and how to navigate through each room. Which gave her a visual of every furniture in the house was placed. She had mapped out mentally of the places everything was placed. So that she could use those objects. For instance, every time she wants to sit on the couch, she reaches out one of her hands and place it on the armrest of the couch before carefully sitting herself on the couch. Every time that happens, Selia has accomplished something, the understanding of the spatial placement in the living room.

Accordingly, two weeks has passed, during this time Selia had made significantly progress in the house of her aunt's. She had made a remarkable achievement of being able to navigate her way through the living towards the kitchen and the toilets without needing to rely on her aunt or her white cane to guide or help her. This made her feel proud, proud of not being dependent on someone daily. Of course, towards other places in the house, she still needs the guidance, but the personal growth was important and meaningful.

---

"Are you excited, Selia?" Her aunts voice echoed within the four walls of the kitchen. Selia hand balled firmly, letting out a deep sigh of sadness. "Aunt, my birthday is merely a week away, and no offence, but I do not feel any kind of excitement. It has not even been three weeks since the death of mom and dad. Right now, that lays very heavily upon me. So, no I do not feel excited, I feel nothing." Her words were laced with sadness, no anger were in them. On the contrary her tone was angry. However, Selia did feel guilty when those words came out of her mouth. She never meant to made them come out like that.

Her aunt, however, did not let Selia tone get to her. "I can understand some sort of the pain you are in right now, Selia. I lost my sister, your mother. However, I was not talking about your birthday, but I was talking about what happens on that day. Because on the day you turn twenty, you will receive the first glimpse of your soulmate. And that prospect alone should make you feel excited. Cause this is a very big deal, Selia. It is special." Everything what her aunt just said, made Selia confused. "Auntie, normally I will not call you crazy, but I have never heard of Soulmate, not once. I don't know If you picked it up from the country. But please go back to my normal aunt, because you make no sense."

Selia's aunt sighed softly, trying to find words to explain. "Selia, I know this sound strange, but Soulmates do exist. It always has, but I realize that your parents never shared to you of their soulmate connection. So please let me explain to you. So, you might understand what I mean. A soulmate, Selia, is the one that you exactly need. A puzzle piece that fits precisely. It is very special to find that person as your relationship will be very meaningful. It goes beyond attractions or chemistry. Instead, the bond you two will feel are about values, beliefs, and gestures. It is not just something" her aunt said, holding Selia's balled fist in both of her hands. "This connection is about mutual understanding and acceptance of one another. A soulmate becomes the person, who you can be truly yourself. You don't have to hide yourself behind a mask. There will be no judgement, no hatred. This unique relationship will be trustworthily. You can trust your soulmate without any doubt. You both will be each other's rock. The one you both can lean on when you need help" Her aunt had tried to go in-depth of trying to explain the significance of a soulmate connection. Trying to give Selia the important details, that she needs to know.

"If that is true what you said, and I am still in doubt." Selia said. "Where is your soulmate, auntie?"

Her aunt let go of Selia's hands, letting out a soft sad sigh. Eyes turning glossy as a lump filled her throat. "Well, Selia, I once believed that your father was my soulmate. As it felt that we were one, it felt like we were the puzzle pieces for each other. because it felt like that, when we were dating for two years. However, it turned out that I was not correct. As he was the soulmate to my sister."

"Oh... I'm sorry, but I do have one question. How does one find their soulmate, and yes, I am believing you, but I cannot simply go outside and yell who is my soulmate. Cause one probably nobody will understand me, because they speak Korean here and two, I will make a fool out of myself and eventual get lost." Selia rambled.

Her aunt let out a chuckle at Selia's rambling. "Well, one your twentieth birthday. A tattoo will poof on your skin, bearing the initials or symbol of your soulmate. Moreover, on the day you encounter your soulmate, for example just see when you are walking in the park, or they see you, inexplainable things may happen. For instance, you may notice a shift of your favorite color, well not in your case. You might experience a sudden sensation of tasting of what your soulmate is eating. These signs will be multiplying in time, until you and your soulmate finally cross paths, these signs serve as a guidepost in your journey to find each other."

Selia start to think about what her aunt just had said about the term soulmates and how to find them. The timing really was awesome – why did she have to discover her soulmate whereabout after her twentieth birthday. Why couldn't this be over 2 years. Why did it have to happen so close of her parents' deaths. This really was overwhelming. Selia had hidden herself in her aunt's house for the past two weeks, engulfed in sorrow. In this state of hers, she wondered how she could possibly find her soulmates while hiding away from the outside world. She may not even want to find them this quickly. No time did she really had for grieving. This was too soon. Too soon to find 'the one for you', as the one she viewed as her world had just died.

However, Selia did think about how they would be able to find each other. Without knowing each other's address or name. It is not like their souls will bring them towards each other. That seems to be too far stretched. But Selia knows, that no matter what she wishes for, this soulmate thing will always be there. Giving Selia no choice but to find her soulmate. But despite everything, she did hope when times comes. That her soulmate except that she is blind. Cause there was no way that even if you are soulmates of each other, that everything goes in sunshine. She heard her parents fight sometimes, and they are supposably soulmates of each other. She just hopes that her soulmate will not abandon her. That will be her only wish for when time comes.