CHAPTER 2

On the eve of Selia's twentieth birthday, she found herself unable to find restful slumber. Perhaps it was the building anticipation and nervousness that kept her awake, causing her to let out a heavy sigh. Determined to ease her restless mind, Selia reached for her white cane and gracefully rose from her bed. Guided by her cane, she skillfully navigated her way through the familiar hallways of her home until she reached the kitchen. However, as she neared the kitchen, she realized that her aunt's voice filled the space, accompanied by the sound of something crashing to the ground.

Concerned for her aunt's wellbeing, Selia called out, inquiring about her aunt's state. "Auntie, are you alright?" she asked aloud, her voice laced with genuine worry.

To Selia's surprise, her aunt responded with a hint of exasperation, seeking to understand why her niece was not in her bed. "Selia, it is imperative that you retire to your bed as the present hour demands restful repose. Tomorrow presents itself as a consequential day requiring your utmost alertness and preparedness. Allow me to offer my assistance in conveying you to your designated sleeping quarters."

"I apologize for my dissenting position, but it is incumbent upon me to declare my inability to partake in sleep at this particular juncture. Hence, I have ventured downstairs seeking solace."

"Selia," her aunt spoke in a firm tone, "Allow me to prepare a soothing cup of tea infused with honey, and let us engage in a brief conversation. However, it is imperative that you retire to bed afterwards. Do you comprehend? Tomorrow marks your twentieth birthday, a significant milestone, as it signifies the imminent revelation of your soulmate. Rest is essential."

Selia nodded in agreement, her aunt swiftly attending to the task of concocting the tea.

"In addition," her aunt remarked with a hint of pride, "I have noticed that you scarcely rely on your white cane anymore. This is a commendable development."

Selia's aunt extended the tea-filled vessel into her niece's grasp, facilitating the transmission of warmth from the ceramic receptacle to Selia's receptive palm. The tactile sensation of the heat diffusing through her skin elicited a sense of comfort and familiarity. With the intention of achieving an optimal temperature, Selia judiciously allowed the contents to undergo a modest cooling period, a strategic pause before imbibing.

Following a span of several minutes, during which the tea underwent a subtle transformation from its initial temperature to an agreeable state, Selia elected to engage in a sippage ritual. Drawing the rim of the vessel to her lips, she orchestrated a contact point between her oral cavity and the liquid contents. The ensuing gustatory encounter was marked by the immediate discernment of the intermingling nuances of mint and honey within the tea's composition. This orchestrated amalgamation yielded a sensory experience that transcended the realm of mere gustatory gratification, culminating in an equilibrium that harmonized the two constituent flavors to a state of faultless equilibrium—a manifestation of culinary prowess emblematic of a harmonious blend.

Auntie inquired of Selia, "Pray, disclose the reasons behind your sleeplessness. What concerns plague your mind? For I am cognizant that you do not slumber, indicative of a troubling matter that preoccupies your thoughts."

Selia, releasing a profound sigh, delicately raised the teacup to her lips and took a sip before mustering a response. "I am apprehensive, Auntie," she whispered tentatively, her voice tinged with vulnerability. "What if, upon encountering my soulmate, be it a he, she, or they, they find me undesirable due to my visual impairment? I fear abandonment, for I cannot bear the thought of being cast aside on account of my blindness." Her lips quivered slightly, betraying her inner turmoil.

Selia was enveloped in the nurturing embrace of her aunt, who spoke in a comforting tone, seeking to assuage her anxieties. "Dear Selia, it is unwise to burden yourself with such concerns. As previously stated, soulmates are destined to embrace and accept your authentic self. Should anyone exhibit unkindness or harbor an aversion towards you due to your visual impairment, it is evident that they were never meant to be your true soulmate. In such an unfortunate circumstance, we shall pen a missive to the divine beings, beseeching their intervention. If they concur with our plea, they possess the ability to alter the course of your soulmate's identity. Therefore, I implore you, cast aside your worries in this matter."

Selia tightly embraced her aunt, seeking solace in the warmth of their bond, before reluctantly releasing their grasp.

"Ah, I observe that you have already consumed your tea. Very well, it is time to retire for the night. Allow me to assist you," her aunt declared.

Selia, clutching her white cane firmly, intertwined her arm with her aunt's, entrusting herself to the guidance offered as they embarked on their journey towards her chamber.

Upon reaching the destination, Selia was gently positioned upon her bed by her attentive aunt, ensuring her comfort. Her white cane found its familiar resting place, serving as a constant companion within arm's reach.

"Sleep well, my dear," her aunt whispered tenderly, their lips gently grazing Selia's forehead. Gradually, the presence of her aunt dissipated, leaving Selia alone in the tranquility of her room. Gradually, the weight of the day's worries began to recede, lulling her into a peaceful slumber.