Chapter 10

Firefern was cleaning her pelt once she heard Alderheart rushing over towards her. "Firefern you have to hurry! Squirrelstar is losing her last life and she wants to talk to you!" He spat out quickly and ran over to the Medicine den.
Firefern quickly got up and ran over to the leader's den, she busted in and found Sparkpelt and Sandheart sitting by their dying mother.
"Squirrelstar I'm here!" She said quickly. "Good, I want you to become a good leader and lead your clan," she whispered faintly.
Alderheart, Jayfeather, and Lionblaze silently came in. "I want you to make smart choices!" She struggled to say. "And most importantly, tell Shadowwing sorry for me." She whispered.
Squirrelstar turned over to her kits and her adopted kits,"I'm so haply that I was yalls mother and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can see Leafpool and Bramblestar waiting for me, goodbye," Squirrelstar said faintly and closed her eyes.
Everycat in her den dipped their head in respect for Squirrelstar. Sparkpelt and Sandheart started to tear up. Everycat stayed still for a bit before Jayfeather and Alderheart left.
Lionblaze walked up to Firefern, "You need to go tell your clan the news," Lionblaze said as he made his way out. Firefern slowly stepped out of the leader's den, every pawstep felt heavy.
She slowly looked around at the cats below, they now belonged to her, but it hurt. Firefern called for a Clan meeting and all the cats gathered around.
After every cat gathered, Firefern froze, she was scared and didn't know how to bring up the news. She brushed in off and tried to look trustful.
"Squirrelstar has passed on to StarClan, may we give her our respects." Every cats was shocked. The cats that gathered started to dip their head and they clan was completely silent for a few minutes.
"You need to pick a deputy," Ivypool told her. Firefern stood for a bit. She decided Redsun, but now she wasn't quite sure. "I'm not sure yet, but after I get back from the moonpool I promise that I will have my deputy," she said. The Clan started to murmur and slowly broke up.
Firefern went to find Jayfeather, he was already waiting for her and they headed out of camp. The whole way to the moonpool was completely silent.

Once they finally arrived it was sunset. "Go to the moonpool and touch your nose to the water," Jayfeather explained. Firefern nodded and headed towards it. Fireferns face lit up once she saw the moonpool, it was beautiful and full of stars.
She lay down and touched her nose into the water and was zapped into what seemed like a dream. She was in a dark place surrounded by blue mist once Firestar appeared. "You time had come Firefern," he said calmly, "do you except?" He asked. Firefern nodded and Firestar started the ceremony. "With this life, I give you Courage," Firestar said and they touched noses.
Suddenly a shock of pain went through Firefern and she stumbled a bit. Tigerdusk then walked up to Firefern, "with this life, I give you strength," he said and touched noses. Once again she was zapped with a shock of pain, but it wasn't as bad as before.
More cats that she new or had heard of came up to her.
"With this life, I give you.."
"Loyalty"
"Bravery"
"Hope"
"Guidance"
"Friendship"
"Determination"
Last Squirrelstar walked up, "with this life I give you trust, trust in the ones you love." Once Squirrelstar said that, Firefern immediately thought about Shadowwing.
"I hail you by your new name, Firestar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of ThunderClan." Squirrelstar said proudly.
Firefern was no more, now she was Firestar! She may never be able to live up to the original Firestar, but she would try her best.
"Now Firestar, I have a message for you." Firestar told her, "Trust in the shadows for they will find you new light," he told her and all of her warrior ancestors started to fade away.
Firestar woke up by the moonpool and noticed Jayfeather standing behind her. She gently smiled and they headed back to camp.

Once they arrived back to camp it was already late and Firestar need to choose a deputy now! Firestar quickly ran up to the higeledge and called her first clan meeting as leader. Everycat gathered around quickly.
"I have successfully gotten my nine lives." She started out, "I will now choose a leader," she said as she looked around the camp looking for Redsun once Shadowwing busted into camp.