ix.

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

a good friend knows all your best stories
but your best friend has lived
them with you

JOHN B AND BAMBI ROUTLEDGE HAD BEEN through a lot of disappointments growing up. since they weren't the richest and had to find a way to get their own food for most of their life, often things that were said didn't happen.

Bambi had a blurry memory in her mind, one that put her off her dad for life was when he promised to show her how to build a sandcastle and the next morning when she woke up to go do so, he had taken John B out instead.

the twins made their way back to the chateau, the rest of the pogues had gone home since John B needed some time alone and they have done so, without a single complaint.

when they walked through the door, they were met with a voice, making them freeze in place and mutter things to themselves, "hey, you two."

Bambi sighed, rolling her eyes and putting the middle finger up to the woman, earning a clenched jaw from her.

"you know, Cheryl, it's kind of a bad time for a check-in." John B shrugged his shoulders, sitting on the couch beside Bambi.

"it's not a check-in, we're taking you both." she raised her hands.

"out of all the days you chose today?" Bambi ran a hand through her hair.

"it's just for a few weeks until your hearing but you both are going into separate places." she sat forward, ready for their reactions.

"going into separate places? you can shove that idea right up your ass." Bambi scoffed.

"we're not going to foster care, okay? we're not gonna be a part of your little system." John B rolled his eyes, Bambi agreeing.

heavy footsteps were heard behind them and the two turned to see a big fat man with no neck, "John B, Bambi, this is Deputy Thomas. he works with juveniles for the sheriff's department."

the twins stood up and whilst John B walked away from him, Bambi stared at him, promising that she wouldn't go down without a fight.

"look, i know Uncle T is down in Mississippi working at a casino, he hasn't been here in months," Cheryl revealed.

"what?" John B scoffed, looking at Bambi and hoping she had the same idea as him.

just as the pair were about to run, the big fat man blocked their exit, making them turn back, "no, see, that's my nightmare right there. look, i-i want emancipation."