36: great responsibility

🕸️🕷️✧・゚: *🕷️✧・゚:*🕸️*:・゚✧🕷️*:・゚✧🕷️🕸️

"Tragedy. What else can I call it? What more need be said? The damage, the destruction, you saw it with your own eyes. When will people wake up and realize that everywhere Spider-Man goes, chaos and calamity ensue? Everything Spider-Man touches comes to ruin. And we, the innocents, are left to pick up the pieces."

-J. Jonah Jameson, Spider-man: No Way Home, 2021.

🕸️🕷️✧・゚: *🕷️✧・゚:*🕸️*:・゚✧🕷️*:・゚✧🕷️🕸️

vernon didn't know how much more of this he can take.

after seeing hoshi absolutely panic as he woke up, vernon felt nothing but even more guilt crash onto his conscience. he couldn't believe that he did that.

but again he couldn't help but question if he was selfish for thinking this way. 

vernon tugged at his hair as he plopped down onto one of the hard as hell hospital chairs in the hallway. he let out a sound that almost sounded like a whimper. "oh g-god. what have i done? i-"

"vernon, calm down."

vernon jumped slightly at the voice. he didn't realize wonwoo followed him out there. "i just- oh my god. i can't b-believe it," vernon looked up at wonwoo, hands shaking as he swallowed dryly, "did you see his face? he was so... scared... and it's all my fault and i-"

"whoa whoa whoa, no," wonwoo sat down in the chair next to him, immediately placing a comforting hand on his back, "vernon, stop. it was never your fault."

vernon shook his head. "...why did i ever think i can become a s-superhero? i'm a fucking failure. i let you guys down and i..."

"vernon."

"...should have never thought that i could..."

"vernon."

"...do this. i mean i'm just a nobody and i really thought i..."

"vernon!"

"could do something like this. what was i even thinking? i should-"

"vernon!"

vernon finally stopped rambling, staring at his friend. "w-what?"

wonwoo let out a sigh before speaking calmly. "just because all of this happened, it doesn't make you a bad superhero, or even a bad person for that matter. accidents happen all the time, but what matters is that you learn from them. nobody is perfect-"

vernon put his feet on the chair, placing his chin on his knees and hugging his legs. he honestly looked like a small child in that moment. "but i needed to be perfect. if i was, maybe you would still have your eye and hoshi would be able to walk and-"