Chapter 1 (3)

The walk to the car was conducted in silence. He had taken control of the errant trolley and she had mutely trundled along beside him, a couple of steps to his side. Neither spoke. She followed him to his car. When they reached it he had held open the passenger door for her, waited for her to get in, then closed the door. Grace snuggled deeper into the leather seat as fatigue and time began to overhaul her body clock. Joshua put her luggage in the boot and took a moment to bank his reaction to her.

Grace snapped the seat belt into place just as he opened his door and climbed in. Without a word he closed the door, put on his seat belt and started the car. Grace tried not to be too conspicuous as she eased her body into a comfortable position. Her body ached from being confined in small spaces for hours, the result of too many economy plane journeys. Her mind ached from the worry caused by the realisation that her father had been propositioning men on her behalf. Her pride ached from the indignity of the situation she now found herself in

Ten minutes later Joshua and Grace were making their way through Manakau, out of the Auckland maze of roads that led to State Highway one. They were heading south.

She was worn out. But, she was determined to stay awake. The last thing she wanted to do was fall asleep with his shoulder for a pillow. Because knowing her luck she would have drooled all over him. She would stay awake. Use any strategy to stay awake.

Determined, she started a conversation. "What puzzles me is why you'd come to meet me. Especially knowing that dad was trying to fix me up. Do you want an arranged marriage?" She thought nothing about asking personal questions because she was exhausted, and she saw them as conversation. Joshua threw her a speaking glance. She missed it. "Don't you have a girlfriend? She stifled a yawn.

Joshua had no intention of discussing his personal life with her. He looked scathingly at Grace, then said brusquely, "That's none of your business."

The blunt comment surprised her and startled her into voicing her thoughts, "Well, I mean you're good looking,' understatement of the year, " and, er, going by this car, obviously wealthy," She knew no- one who drove a car that cost more than her home, "plus on most occasions you are probably charming." Intuition rather than experience suggested the latter.

He said nothing.

Grace sighed, "Ok," She glumly conceded defeat with that line of conversation, she tipped her head back, stifled yet another yawn and said, "What do you want to talk about? The weather?"

"I'll put on the radio."

He flicked a switch as he spoke. Billie Holiday singing the blues infiltrated the car. The music matched her mood. Great, thought Grace.

Subtle as a brick. Just tell me to shut up. Fine. She bristled as she turned her face toward the window and fought to keep her eyes open.

They were joining State Highway One, moving steadily through the traffic. He cut through, to the middle lane and joined the steady stream of cars doing at least 100 kilometres an hour.

About two hours from now she'd be home. She wouldn't have to deal with him again. Just two hours.

The buildings blurred as tiredness, crossing international date lines and lack of sleep caught up with Grace. Exhaustion took its toll. Within seconds long black lashes came down as her eyes closed. Her head lolled against her shoulder, her hair fell across her cheek.

A few minutes later, when Joshua glanced across, he saw that she was asleep. Relaxed she looked young, and sweet. He smirked. Her? Sweet? The woman was tart. She would make a lime taste like honey. He glanced at her again.