Chapter 13 (2)

Grace stood, water teeming down her face, hands on hips looking every inch the outraged woman. "I was nineteen and about the same size I am now. Thank you very much." She growled indignantly before issuing a brusque cranky command. "Show me the bathroom." But she didn't wait for him, she stalked off in high dudgeon. Grace marched back toward the house and began to follow a path that veered toward the left side of the house. Still stewing, she headed round the corner of the house, marching blindly at a furious pace. She'd show him just how fat she was. The man was blind, totally blind. She was slim, curvy but slim. She hadn't put on weight. Probably lost it if anything. What with all the running around she did. She was probably at least a stone lighter. She didn't know for sure, as she hadn't checked her weight for over a decade. Fat. Hmmph.

Joshua quickly caught up with her. "You aren't fat Grace."

"Damn right I'm not." She threw over her shoulder but didn't stop to argue the point.

Joshua fought down his rueful smile. They walked past three windows before they reached what both recognised as the bathroom. The slats were similar to those at Whangamata. Grace flashed him a withering smile. He held his answering smile in check. Together, in silence, they gingerly slid the glass panes out of the metal brackets and laid them on the grassy verge.

When all ten slats were out, she turned to him and said, "Would you like to try?" She knew full well that Joshua's bulk would never make it through the small window.

He smiled, "Ladies first."

"I'll need a leg up."

Joshua shrugged and stifled a grin. He'd make it up to her. Grace pushed several wet strands of hair from her face and waited for him to crouch down. Lacing his fingers to form a step, Joshua gave Grace a leg up. She braced her hands on the window sill and pushed, lifting her leg and hooking it over the window sill. Joshua gradually straightened. He knew he'd never hear the end of this. He was also amazed at just how agile she was. A veritable rubber band.

"See you soon." She slid one leg into the space created by the window and then inched through the small space into the tiny room. "Although," she muttered angrily, "I should leave you out there after that fat comment." She had to duck her head and scrunch her shoulders, but she made it. She disappeared into the bathroom. Several minutes later she opened the back door to him.

"Fat, hmm?" She challenged, grinning smugly, reproach replaced with mirth.

"Beautifully endowed." He amended as he dropped her overnight bag on the floor inside the house and leaned toward her to kiss her briefly on the mouth, before she could move away. "Just perfect." He muttered happily as he headed back out again.

He made several trips to the car, carrying in their groceries for the week and their baggage. They certainly weren't going to starve. Grace stacked the foods from the grocery bags in the fridge and in the pantry in the kitchen. Joshua had shopped for an army platoon rather than just the two of them. Unless he was expecting others.

"Who's joining us?"

"No-one." He frowned as he put another bag on the table. There she went again. Another illogical question. 

"Who's going to eat all this?"

"Us." He disappeared out of the back door again. Ok, so perhaps her question hadn't been quite so illogical given the amount of food. Grace hadn't found any linen or towels in any of the bags Joshua had carried in, so she had simply got on with unpacking their supplies and waited for him to return from the car. She was beginning to feel cold as her wet clothes clung to her.

"Here." He retrieved a towel from one of the holdalls, and handed the towel to Grace. Grace took the large bath sheet and briskly rubbed her arms with the material.