Chapter 7 (2)

A few moments later they had reached the others. Grace extricated her hand from Joshua's hand lock in order to shake hands as she was introduced to all those she hadn't met before, including Luke's date, Marina, and Zac's date Shelley.

It was a black tie affair. The men wore dinner jackets and pretended not to swelter. Fortunately it had cooled down immensely, but it was still too warm for the men to keep their jackets on for long. The woman barely wore sufficient material to keep them decent, and none of them seemed worried about the temperature. Thankfully it was still a warm night. 

Joshua waited for the introductions to be made, and as soon as they were accomplished he led her onto the dance floor and took her into his arms. He'd seen the assessing way Luke had taken note of Grace, seen the way Craig had smiled at her. Was no man immune?

Luke watched the man he considered a brother and best friend. He had taken a long look at Grace, wondering what it was that had enthralled Joshua. Sure she was attractive, but then Joshua had never been short of beautiful women to date. So why was he captivated by this one? For he was definitely hooked. Luke wondered if Joshua had admitted that fact. He might not have owned up to it, yet, but there was no misreading the truth. Joshua could start counting his single days. They were over. Luke watched the couple for several more seconds. Then his own date persuaded him to dance with her.

Possessively, Joshua locked Grace to him. They swayed in time to the music without actually moving very far off the spot. There wasn't much room. The dance floor was crowded. Couples jostled each other but no one seemed to mind.

Joshua had his arms fastened around her waist while Grace rested her palms on his jacket lapels. A few moments later, Grace moved closer to him, because his arms gave her no choice. The music seemed to mellow as the paddle boat moved out into the midst of the Waikato on its slow cruise down the river. His thigh brushed against hers before finding a niche between her legs. Fleetingly Grace registered his lips against her temple, brushing gently, and she tipped her head back to teasingly reprimand him about the public display of affection.

The words were never uttered, they were swallowed. Skillfully and swiftly his lips found their target and Grace was lost in a mind shattering kiss. His lips were hot and light as they gently worked her mouth. Her mouth, ready to teasingly scold, was worked over, ever so gently with the tip of his tongue. It was the tenderest kiss she had ever received. Gentle, delicate and shattering. All thoughts about chastising him about public displays were forgotten. 

She had lost the battle before it had even begun. She knew, after last night, that things were going to be different. She had known that tonight would be special. Very, very special. Grace gently slid her hands around his neck and pulled him closer.

Joshua needed no further encouragement. His mouth slanted over hers with less finesse and more passion than he'd normally show in public. His tongue became more insistent, his hands more possessive and his thigh more abrasive. His left hand splayed across her upper back and his right hand rested firmly on her bottom bringing her closer to him. Hauled to him, pressed close, she reveled in his hardness.

Her skin and the silk of her gold strapless top felt similar in texture, but where her skin was warm, the silk was erotically cool. His hands roamed, pressing, urging responding. She stood within the sheltered embrace of his arms and legs, dispensing all pretence of dancing to the melody the band played. Her neck arched as his kiss became more insistent. Her lips were swelling as his mouth sucked seductively.

Desperate for oxygen they broke apart. Silent words passed between them for the fleeting moment they were apart. A message of need, longing and lust flashed between the two with the speed and impact of lightning. Then once more he was devouring her and she was encouraging him as best she knew how. She arched against him, felt him pressing into her lower stomach, her hands grasped and held his head, forcing him to take what she was giving him freely.