Chapter 6 (3)

Now to optimise on this opportunity. Take it slowly, he reminded himself. Don't blow it. Don't push. Don't squander the chance. He quickly ushered her away from the front door and to the study. After getting her another drink and putting on a Roberta Flack CD he left Grace, and went to the phone.

He phoned Cass. She took it good naturedly. Then he phoned the take away restaurant and ordered a meal for two.

It arrived twenty minutes later and was utterly delicious. They ate in the kitchen, because Grace turned down his suggestion that they eat in the dining room. She liked their kitchen, liked the coziness, the warmth it seemed to exude, like a family room. Joshua set the table, insisting that Grace sit and allow him to wait on her. He opened a bottle of Pinot noir and poured it into simple tulip shaped glasses, before offering a toast to their friendship. Grace and Joshua sipped at the wine before replacing the glasses on the table.

Then Joshua dished up the meal.

The conversation was light and time flew by too quickly for both of them.

"Coffee?" He offered.

"A herbal tea if you have it."

"I think so." He answered, " We have something I think."

"Great." She stretched like a well fed contented cat. "That was delicious."

He put the kettle on and they continued to chat while waiting for it to boil.

When tea and coffee were made Joshua suggested they took their respective drinks to the lounge. It was a new room to Grace, one that she had not been in during any of her previous visits. She glanced appreciatively around her. Now this was sumptuous living.

"You have a lovely home."

He looked around and smiled. "Yes," He agreed. " I guess I take it for granted."

Grace sat down, sinking blissfully into a luxurious teak leather couch. Joshua placed his mug on a coaster on the coffee table beside the couch and then headed for the sound system. He selected a mellow blues CD and returned to the couch. The blues ballad begin to filter through the room.

"I've taken a lot for granted." They listened and relaxed. He felt very comfortable sitting here with her, talking about items in the news. When the CD ended he got to his feet, "Any preferences?"

She shook her head. He flicked through the small pile of CDs and selected Sarah Vaughn.

Joshua knew he wasgoing to tread on thin ice. He had deliberately not brought up the topic fordiscussion during dinner, because he knew it would mean an early end to the evening and he had already had one major scare today when she nearly walked out. But it was nagging away at him and he needed to resolve the situation.

He had no rights to her, he knew that, but the thought of that maniac out there had him seriously worried. Worried enough to stick his neck out even if it did mean the end of a great evening. "I don't like the idea of you going back to that cottage on your own." Anxiously he waited for her to get mad.

She didn't get angry, she reached for his hand. That surprised him. She squeezed his palm reassuringly. "It's o.k." She told him happily and with heartfelt relief. "He's in gaol."

"What?"

"He beat up his wife, the neighbours called the Police." She gave him the potted version of the police account. "He won't be getting bail." She had been elated to receive the news. Joshua was equally relieved, though still a touch concerned.

"But will they put him away? What if he comes after you?" Joshua turned his hand so that his palm was facing hers and he gripped her hand in a possessive gesture. He wanted to protect her. "Grace, I don't like it."