Chapter 2 (2)

Joshua muttered to himself as he turned away. It had rapidly become apparent to Joshua that any conversation that Grace took part in was apt to veer into the ridiculous. She really was unbelievable. He'd been flippant to the point of rudeness and she hadn't even registered the attack. She was incredible. But right now he didn't want incredible, he wanted to be left alone. He focused on his first course and attempted to ignore her.

Zac sensing the rapid demise of genial talk and the escalation of open hostility immediately launched into conversation. Grace gratefully took the opportunity he presented. Their plates were cleared and there was a brief respite while they waited for the main course. Zac started on another round of amusing surfing anecdotes. Steven assisted with chef stories and Mariah and Grace laughed at all the right times. Hiding his troubled thoughts Joshua toyed with his drink.

The main course arrived. Occasionally Grace would attempt to draw Joshua into the conversation, but his stern stare eventually quelled that urge. After a while, she concentrated on talking solely to Zac, Steven and Mariah. Even though the meal was delicious Grace was pleased when all the courses had been served. Coming over had been a mistake. A big mistake. The question now was how and when she should make an excuse and escape back to the sanctuary of her own table. She had been buffeted by his silence, a cold silence that isolated her more than he could ever contemplate. For even though Zac had chatted away, it was difficult to forget the man on her left. The one who was diligently ignoring her.

Joshua tried, in vain, to ignore her. But she didn't know that. His features were schooled to hide his interest and more importantly his thoughts. But he was listening to her every word. And her laugh. Its sound was playing havoc with his heartbeat.

Grace was getting ready to leave the table, when the bridal couple doing their rounds, greeting guests and smiling happily, reached the De Souza table. The tension in Joshua was palpable. Grace couldn't help noticing the way his shoulders went rigid and the blank stare was studiously replaced with one of pseudo affability.

Craig spotted Grace instantly and, beaming at her, he came round the table to her side to take her into a warm hug. Grace smiled happily and returned the hug in full measure.

"Your RSVP said you couldn't make this."

"What a charming welcome." She remonstrated, but her smile belied her tone. She'd known him since they were children, and had often thought of him as a brother. As they'd grown they had spent less and less time together, but still that easygoing relationship was in place. 

"You know what I mean." He kissed her cheek and hugged her to him again. 'I haven't seen you in years." He kept an arm around her shoulder, pressing her to his side.

"A few years." She agreed, " And look what happens when I leave you on your own, you do the dirty on me and get married." She teased as she slapped a hand against his chest.

"Well ....." he tailed off suggestively, keeping her within the circle of his arms but turning to include the rest of the party. They were watching the reunion with unashamed curiosity.

"Yeah, yeah." She grinned.

"I didn't expect to see you here." He was looking at her in speculative inquiry.

"Dad isn't well, mum's keeping an eye on him." "Nothing serious I hope."

"I think it was the seafood they had yesterday, he'll be fine, pigged out on too many oysters I think."

He looked around, "No Bri and Sash?" He asked, referring to her sisters.

"Just me, but I'm with Joshua." Blatant, barefaced lie spoken with such conviction. Why was her mouth going into action before her brain could sound out the consequences? Although everyone seemed to respond to that statement, Grace noticed that Lysette had suddenly become very attentive.