Chapter 2 (1)

Two months later, Joshua, Zac, their sister Mariah and her husband Stephen, were sitting in a church in Auckland. They had gathered for a wedding.

The pews were rapidly filling with guests and murmured greetings were heard as people recognised friends and acquaintances.

"That's her." Zac nudged his sister as he whispered the words.

"Who?" Mariah didn't bother to look, her eyes remaining on the beautifully written service order booklet. When she turned twenty-one she stopped counting the number of women Zac introduced to her, and she wasn't in the least bit interested now. Her brother seemed to date like it was going out of style, with no concept of fidelity or long term.

"Grace Carvalho." He muttered in a hush and used his head to indicate where she was. Mariah's head lifted instantly and she followed her brother's gaze. She scanned the two pews ahead of them, on the other side of the aisle. Mariah recognised everybody except the tall slim woman, who had her back to Mariah, as she waited for people to move along.

Mariah craned her head past Stephen, much to his amusement, in an attempt to see more of the woman. Stephen, flashed a smile at Zac, and he noticed that Joshua was still sitting grim faced furthest away from the aisle. This must be tough on him, he thought, as he turned his attention back to his wife. She was trying to inch past him. He placed his hands on her hips and stopped her. Mariah looked irritated.

"I just want a quick look." She whispered pleadingly at her husband.

"Later." He told herfirmly and did not budge an inch.

She threw him a speaking glance and settled back between Zac and Stephen.

Joshua kept his eyes firmly trained on the booklet outlining the order of service. He had no doubt he was the recipient of many speculative looks. Three months ago Lysette had been dating him. Today she was marrying a family friend, Craig. No doubt they had all reached their own conclusions. Most of them would be wrong.

Mariah caught a glimpse of Grace, as Grace threaded her way past a couple hugging the aisle seats, but when she settled into the available space Mariah lost sight of her. Almost. The hat was a beacon. Grace wore a pale ice blue jacket and matching short skirt. Both hemlines had a wide, bold, cut out applique edging that was mounted on a black edge, but what made the outfit stand out was the hat. Simply dramatic and daring. It was almost a black top hat with a wide band of matching ice blue applique tape at its base and a swirl of blue coils. It was very striking. Different. The woman was clearly making a statement. Mariah couldn't wait to meet her.

Zac had recounted to Mariah, in front of Joshua, details of the Joshua- Grace clash. He had failed to mention that the woman had style. Zac had simply spent the evening winding up his older brother. He'd been successful too. Joshua was exceptionally touchy about the whole subject, which only made things easier for Zac.

When the bride walked down the aisle on her father's arm, the congregation stood and watched with avid interest, but instead of watching Lysette, Mariah looked ahead straining to catch sight of Grace. She just wanted to see her face. A quick glimpse. Then she'd follow Lysette' s progress down this rather long aisle. Plenty of time to see the bride. Mariah was surprised when she finally did catch a glimpse of Grace. That woman was a photographer's dream. She was beautiful. Mariah came to the conclusion that her brothers must be blind or stupid, neither of them had mentioned the fact that Grace was a raving beauty. Hell, Joshua had done his best to off load Grace. And why would her father have to find her a date? 

Mariah found her view obscured when Lysette walked by. Momentarily she was sidetracked as she watched the bride progress the final few pews to the altar. Mariah peeked at Joshua. He was grim faced. Not much she could do there she thought. She knew that he wasn't pleased to see Lysette marrying a friend of his. But he had not voiced his reasons. Mariah knew Joshua didn't want to marry Lysette, and she knew Craig was in love with the woman.