Chapter 6 (1)

The conference went well. Her paper had created much debate and the discussion time afterwards had taken longer than its prescribed time. She felt as if she had achieved something, so it was in a somewhat buoyant frame of mind that she arrived at the Joshua's home at the Bay.

Traffic had been light and though Joshua had said anytime around seven, she wondered if she should have loitered in the area for another twenty minutes or so. She was at least a quarter of an hour early and she didn't want to appear too keen. Well not that keen. Summoning her confidence, she parked the car.

She let the door knocker bang against the heavy wood again, for no one had answered the first hammering. Then another car pulled up and Zac waved at her from the driver's seat. He came bounding over, his now familiar grin clearly signaling his pleasure at seeing her again.

"Hi yah." He called to her idiotically as he came to the door. He gave her a hug and a kiss on the lips before she could even think about stopping him. "No one in?" He queried and reached for his keys. But before he was able to insert them into the lock the door opened. Grace was still recovering from the bear hug and lip lock.

Joshua stood there, dripping, a towel wrapped securely around his hips, his hair plastered to his head.

"Tsk. Tsk. Joshua" chided Zac as he indicated for Grace to precede him into the house, "Fancy keeping your date waiting."

"You're here." Joshua stated warily. He had persuaded Zac to make himself scarce, so what was he doing back here? How the hell was he supposed to make this a romantic dinner for two, if Zac was going to hang around?

Joshua's statement was aimed at Zac, but for a brief embarrassing moment, Grace thought he was talking to her. She tried to quickly conjure up a suitable reply, but then relaxed a fraction when Zac said, "I forgot to check something." Zac did indeed sound hassled. "Have there been any calls for me, I'm expecting a rather urgent message."

"I got in five minutes ago, check the answer machine." Joshua advised, "But, first entertain Grace, while I get myself together." He held onto the towel as he let Grace into the house.

"I can come back." She suggested lamely.

Both guys turned to look at her as if she was talking nonsense.

"Zac." Prompted Joshua. "Entertain, I'll be down soon."

With that he bounded up the stairs. It was a wonder the towel didn't unravel. Grace watched him disappear at the top of the stairs.

"Yeah, yeah, ok." Zac closed the door. In his usual inimitable style he asked, "What d'you fancy to drink?" as he ushered her toward the study with one arm casually draped across her shoulders. He was trying not to pull her into a sisterly hug and beg her to marry his older brother. The way he saw things, they were perfect for each other. If only Grace recognised that fact.

He changed direction, and began to head for the kitchen when she said, "Any chance of an ice cold lemonade?"

"Can you cope with the kitchen?" He was one of the most laid back characters Grace had ever met, and she smiled slowly as she was tugged behind him toward the kitchen. "That way I can save time and check the answer phone." The man really didn't have a clue about etiquette. Her smile widened into a grin. He was incorrigible.

"Sure." Was there a real choice? Not that she minded.

He pushed the kitchen door open with the palm of his free hand and allowed Grace to enter the room first. She revised her earlier notion, well perhaps he did know a bit about etiquette, a tiny smidgen.

She recognised the room from her last visit. They weren't pleasant memories.

"Grab a seat." He suggested, when she continued to just stand and look around. He reached for two glasses and placed them on the table. "Heard you're going to be on the boat tomorrow night." He was hoping his older brother's campaign to woo and win this woman would take off. Perhaps he could help out a bit. A bit of encouragement never went astray. Sell a few of Joshua's key points.